by Rachel Loia

5 Best Dorm Room Drinks to Make on a Snow Day

By Rachel Loia - Dec 14 2016

Winter is in full swing, which basically means it's time for snow (unless you're in the south — sorry for you all). Snow days, while often not frequent, are bound to happen at one point or another, so it's a good idea to have a list of drinks that are easy to make while stuck in your dorm. These particular ones aren't just to warm you up, but also to provide you some good comfort without much work. 

1. Hot Cocoa With Cinnamon Sticks

Just combine some hot cocoa powder and water (or milk) in a mug. Heat for a few minutes in the microwave and then just stir it up. Add a cinnamon stick to spice up the common drink. You can find these inexpensive sticks in the spice section at the supermarket. You can get fancy with this hot cocoa and add whipped cream or sprinkles, but let's be real: we're all too broke for most of the extras.

2. London Fog

I saw this drink on Pinterest, so I cannot take credit for it, but it seemed like the perfect drink to have when there's a blanket of snow out. If you're a tea fan, then this is especially for you. It's a bit fancier than your average cuppa, but it's worth it. 

3. Warm Milk

I like to heat up milk and add either cinnamon or sugar to it (sometimes both if I'm feeling jazzy). This is just a great way to warm my tummy and give me some calcium to survive off of while I wait for the snow to melt enough for me to get to the dining hall. 

4. Green Tea

Green tea makes everything better, including an already glorious snow day. All you need is water and/or milk, some sugar and a green tea bag. I usually leave the tea bag in while I'm drinking it to keep the flavor really strong. If you're not too fond of strong flavors then take it out and toss it (in the garbage, not the sink you monster). 

5. Mexican Mocha

This is also something I got from Pinterest, but it looked too delicious not to include in my little list. There's a couple variations of this recipe, but this one seems to be the best. It involves chocolate, coffee and coconut milk. Can it get any better than that?

These drinks are perfect for the most lazy and cheap college students! Quick, easy and an almost painless price (except for the Mexican Mocha...that one's a luxury). Either way, try out these drinks and keep yourself warm as we get farther into winter. 

Rachel Loia - Ramapo College

Rachel is a freshman studying biology at Ramapo College of New Jersey. She also loves writing and uses it as an excuse to not do schoolwork. Instagram: @rachloia