by Rachel Loia

15 Songs for Your Festive Studying Playlist

By Rachel Loia - Nov 23 2016

Now that Thanksgiving has come once again I have realized that we are already one month into the holiday season.

And yes, I'm serious. 

If you don't think the preparation and celebration for this time starts immediately the day after Halloween, then you're sadly mistaken. I've been wrapped in tinsel, blasting carols and watching The Polar Express just 'round the clock. While it is all very exciting, especially because it means the semester is almost over, there is also the reminder that finals still exist and studying needs to be done (if you're obsessive about your grades like I am). 

Anyways, to make studying a little easier, here is my festive playlist that will only somewhat distract you. 

1. "It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas" — Michael Bublé

How could I not include this song? Michael's vocals can lull anyone into a state of calm and this song itself is a reminder that Christmas (...and break) is around the corner. I don't know about you, but when I'm aware that relaxation time is approaching I start grinding so I don't have anything to worry about and can be fully satisfied with my work. 

2. "Do You Hear What I Hear" — Bing Crosby

I grew up listening to Bing Crosby so he's hugely associated with the holiday season. This particular song is calming though so it's nice to work to. It's the type of song you wistfully look at the window to as snow blankets the ground. How dramatic and cheesy, but absolutely true. 

3. "Believe" — Josh Groban

Like most sane people, I absolutely love The Polar Express. That movie became a classic after only a few weeks of it being released. Not to mention Josh Groban's voice is a gift from the heavens above and can inspire any lazy bum to do some work. 

4. "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" — Frank Sinatra

I mean, do I really need to explain this one? It's Frank Sinatra singing about Christmas...who wouldn't want to listen to it? I mean I guess if you're a grinch and don't find joy in the holidays, which is fine I suppose. 

5. "Last Christmas" — Ariana Grande

Ariana Grande has a gorgeous voice and this is one of my favorite holiday songs so I had to include it. This is also the type of thing I can listen to, sing under my breath and still manage to focus on my work. All in all it's a win-win situation. 

6. "Blue Christmas" — Elvis Presley 

You gotta love the King. Also, when I'm sad about approaching finals, I like to listen to this and attempt to cope with my sad yet festive mood. It's a sad existence, I know. 

7. "I'll Be Home For Christmas" — Leslie Odom Jr. 

If you love Hamilton, and Leslie Odom Jr.'s voice, then you absolutely know why this made the playlist. Honestly, I don't even know how someone can be so damn talented. He sounds like an angel. A beautiful Christmas angel. Is it obvious that I'm in love with him? 

8. "Sleigh Ride" — Johnny Mathis

Sleigh Ride is so fun to listen to. Its fast pace and fun lyrics can brighten your mood almost instantly and remind you how enjoyable this time of the year is! Not to mention the lyrics, "Ring-ting-tingling too," are iconic. 

9. "O Holy Night" — Leona Lewis

Leona Lewis has got such a classic voice with a lot of soul. She does this song really well and I love listening to it as I'm trying to write a paper. It really keeps me sane and calm.  

10. "Silver Bells" — Dean Martin

Silver Bells is one of those songs that you have to listen to around Christmas time. It's just a good song and a classic that can prompt memories from past years. Not to mention I'm sure most of you have grown up hearing it. Childhood songs are the most iconic songs. 

11. "Baby It's Cold Outside" — Idina Menzel and Michael Bublé

Idina and Michael doing a duet? Have my ears deceived me? What have I done to deserve such an amazing thing from two of the most talented artists? 

12. "It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year" — Andy Williams

This song just tells it like it is. It's the most wonderful time of the year...I mean...duh. Even if you don't celebrate Christmas, this time of the year can make anyone giddy and jump for joy. Not to mention the cheer is contagious. 

13. "Here Comes Santa Claus" — Elvis Presley

Included the King twice. His classic songs are perfect for the most festive of playlists so I had to. 

14. "Joy To The World" — Nat King Cole

Nat King Cole has produced some of my favorite holiday songs so he deserves to be on this playlist. His voice is husky and calming, and his songs are beautiful. You can't help but sing out with him. 

15. "All I Want For Christmas Is You" — Mariah Carey

I mean, do I need to say more about this one? 

Now grab yourself some hot cocoa, break out the textbooks and get back to studying. Hopefully this playlist can get you through finals while also keeping your spirits high as you patiently wait for the best day of the year. 

Good luck and happy holidays! 

Rachel Loia - Ramapo College

Rachel is a freshman studying biology at Ramapo College of New Jersey. She also loves writing and uses it as an excuse to not do schoolwork. Instagram: @rachloia