Display pexels photo
by Rachel Loia

10 Signs You're An Overachiever

By Rachel Loia - Feb 24 2017

Being an overachiever is rough. Sometimes you get mocked for your try-hard tendencies, while other times people tell you to loosen up and have more fun. In your head you might thing, "How can I have more fun? There's so much to do?!" It is a blessing and a curse. You will never stop working towards your goals, but you might miss out on the messy parts of life along the way. This is a list of signs that you're an overachiever. 

1. You don't consider C's or B's as passing grades.

C's or B's may be more discouraging to you then one would imagine. That's okay. It just means you have super high expectations for yourself, but don't let it control you. Everyone gets a bad grade every once in a while. Honestly, you're not the only one. You can read more about why this happens here

2. When D's are failing grades. No excuses. 

Well. 

3. The moment you were almost the best, but you didn't quite make it.

For example, getting second place or almost making it into the honor society. It's always disheartening to be almost good enough, but not quite. For an overachiever this can be devastating. Being so close to reaching a goal, but not making it by a hair. If you need some positive reinforcement about being second best, check this out. 

4. Professor assigns a 750 word essay and you write 1,500 words (at least). 

Even though you know you could encompass everything you need to in 750 words, you still feel inclined to write more. There's a proud sort of feeling that comes when handing in a longer paper, but deep down inside you know there's no reason for it. Here's a little research done on how to avoid this, but, as an overachiever, you're going to do it anyways. 

5. You're way too hard on yourself when you make a mistake.

Forgetting detergent or making a silly mistake on an exam can quite possibly be the end of the world. There's no reason to beat yourself up for these type of situations, but sometimes you just can't help it. This article can help you to refrain from doing that, to better help you lead a happier life. 

6. You get mad when someone else is the teacher's pet.

The kid behind you answers a question correctly that you wanted to answer and earns praise from the professor. It's horrifying and makes you see red. You don't mean to be mad at the kid for participating, but you want to be the one making the teacher proud. Here's a step by step guide on how to become your own teacher's pet. 

7. You make things harder then they need to be.

You don't necessarily need to go overboard with the project that's already eating up most of your time, but you wouldn't be you if you didn't. It may affect your work ethic, but going the extra mile is worth it. One of the ways is by discussing goals you have with your superiors, according to Jon Simmons, a journalist for a job search website. 

8. When you're at the gym and you force yourself to do one more set than the person next to you.

Being an overachiever makes you super competitive. You might notice that you're staring at the much more fit people, trying to prove you can keep up with them. It's not necessarily the healthiest thing to do, but sometimes you don't even notice you're doing it. If you think this is you, check this out. 

9. That moment when you read more than you needed to for class.

The professor says to read to chapter five? *reads to chapter eight* 

10. Forgetting that you're human

Sometimes, being overachiever is not a good thing. You spend more time worrying about letting people down or losing your edge. Not to mention, the little trip ups in life become so much bigger than necessary and you forget that you're human. You're supposed to have fun and do the things that will give you a positive life to look back on. 

Remember to try and enjoy things, even when they're not always going the way you planned them too. Expect to fail sometimes, and let yourself take a break. You might learn some things from the quiet time. 

Rachel Loia - Ramapo College

Rachel is a freshman studying biology at Ramapo College of New Jersey. She also loves writing and uses it as an excuse to not do schoolwork. Instagram: @rachloia