Fresh U — an online publication for freshmen, by freshmen — launches

New publication for college freshmen, written and edited by freshmen, launches online as new crop of students finish up high school and prepare for life on campus

Fresh U, a national publication “for freshmen, by freshmen” went live online (www.freshu.io) on Monday, June 1 and is already creating a stir. With a focus on content meaningful to freshmen, Fresh U already offers more than 100 stories focused on the excitement, the changes and the choices that incoming college freshman will face during their last months at home and as they prepare for college.

Fresh U has more than 150 contributing writers from about 50 colleges and universities across the country – all incoming freshman. Students at more than a dozen universities, including Northwestern University, Boston University, University of Southern California, Howard University, University of Missouri, Indiana University and University of Pittsburgh, plan to establish Fresh U chapters at their respective universities in late August.

Current Fresh U stories cover a variety of topics. Trending stories include: “Why Getting Rejected By My Dream College Was the Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me” and “14 Things You Must Do the Summer Before College” … as well as stories about what readers will and will not miss about high school, how to avoid the ‘Freshman 15,’ and how to make the most of the summer.

As they begin their freshmen year, Fresh U contributing writers will continue covering topics related to their first year of college.

Kate Beckman, a student in magazine journalism at Syracuse University’s S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, created the publication and the business behind Fresh U. As a freshman in September 2013, Beckman founded Juiced Magazine (www.juicedmag.org), Syracuse University’s only publication written by and for freshmen. She launched the venture with help from a Kickstarter campaign.

“We are so excited to launch Fresh U to the world, after five months of building the content management system, attracting writers, and getting everything set. And, what a great day for these terrific writers: to be able to showcase their writing on a national platform — before they even take the first step on campus and really begin their careers,” Beckman added. “I remember this excitement and desire to get published just two years ago when I was a freshman, and that’s why I started Juiced, and now Fresh U.”

Assisting Beckman in this new publishing venture are fellow Syracuse University students Sara Swann, editorial director; Matt Gehring, social media director; and Lindsay Dawson ’15, design director.

Incoming freshmen that want to write for Fresh U or start a chapter at their college or university can apply online at www.freshu.io, or contact kate@freshu.io with any questions.