Display unsplash   luke porter
by Parul Jain

6 Suggestions to Make Your Freshman Year a Little Easier

By Parul Jain - Aug 30 2016

I'll admit it. Freshman year is hard. From all the packing list to the actual packing, anxiety about meeting new people, move in day, roommate awkwardness and new classes, the list goes on. Freshman year is probably one's hardest year at college just because of the sheer amount of changes that take place in one's life. In such a difficult time every little advice you get can be very useful to handle the "unknown." So here are a few pieces of advice that could help you a great length during this daunting phase of your life.

1. Set up your new nest.

If you’re not really that excited or motivated for college just yet, this is a good tip to get you into the mood. Just simply thinking up ideas of ways to make your room a little more comfortable and homey will help make your transition easier. One tends to spend a large amount of their time in their dorm room, so getting new ideas for how you want your dorm room to look or shopping for stuff to decorate it could help give you a little more excitement for the dreaded move in day.

2. Get to know your new half-life partner.

Most colleges tend to give students a chance to either choose their own roommates or go random. If you are like me, and decided to go random, you are most likely to get to know your new roommate a couple weeks before move in day. In that case, it might be a good idea to try to start talking to him or her and get to know the person beforehand. This will not only help you avoid the first day awkwardness but also help you feel like you already have a friend at your new college. Communicating with your future roommate may also help you better decide on what things you both are planning to bring and help avoid having two refrigerators in one room. And if you're already moved in, make sure you get to know him/her. 

3. Life is too short to eat bad food.

Who doesn't like getting a gift? One way to enjoy a mini Christmas every month is getting a subscription for some food boxes for at least your first few months at college. Subscription boxes like Graze or Love with Food provide a great option for healthy eating on days when you just don't feel like walking all the way to the dining halls. They are also a great way to help keep a control over one's diet to avoid the infamous "Freshman 15."

And for days when you just want to reward yourself with some tasty, unhealthy food, subscription boxes like Treatsie or my personal favorite, Munchpak, are a good idea. The best part about these boxes is that they are very affordable. There are a number of other subscription boxes ideal for college students. You can learn more about these here.

4. Don't bite off more than you can chew.

This is your first time out of high school, your first time being an adult and your first experience with the whole "home away from home" living. Most of us are going to attend a college level class for the first time this fall and are obviously not that well aware of how things work. Do you really want to be that kid who keeps them-self locked up in their dorm room or library and spends their entire time studying and keeping to them-self? Freshmen year is a time when you try to meet new people and are still getting used to the transition into your “adult life." Yes, we want to excel and seem smart, but burdening ourselves with too many classes helps no one. Instead, try to take it a little easier your freshman year. Make new friends, join some clubs, learn the ropes of college and then decide to dive into the deeper side of the pool called college classes.

5. When in college, do as the Greeks do.

Joining a sorority or fraternity is another great way to get to meet a lot of new people and make your transition to college a little more comfortable. Most Greek houses tend to have a number of events to make their new members more comfortable and treat them as their own brothers or sisters. A lot of sororities and fraternities have group events like ice breakers, fundraisers and chapter retreats. This can definitely help you make new friends and find a family in your new home. 

6. An original is worth more than a copy.

In the end, the most important tip to remember is to be yourself. A lot of people see college as a new beginning, a way to create a new image of themselves and maybe even change things about themselves. It is always a good idea to try new things and become a better version of yourself. However, pretending to be someone you're not, is never a good idea.

At times it might seem like pretending to be like someone else will help you make more friends or attract that cute guy/girl you've had your eyes on,  but that's not true. Always remember that, in this huge world, with a population of more than seven billion, there's only one you and only people who like you for yourself are worth caring about.

Lead Image Credit:  Luke Porter via Unsplash

Parul Jain - University of California, Davis

Parul Jain will be a freshman at The University of California - Davis in the fall with a Biochemistry major.She loves dancing and singing. Loves anything that's blue in colour or involving dogs. She's also an avid reader and a shopping enthusiast.