Display student professor talking office hours
by Olivia Ray Laskowski

Easy Ways to Get Your Professors to Like You

By Olivia Ray Laskowski - Sep 27 2015

1. Go to class.

This is self explanatory.

2. Don’t just go, but be present.

Make it clear that you’re there, paying attention, and being attentive. Sit near the front. Ask questions. Answer their questions. Engage with them. Make eye contact.

3. Speak up.

Answer their questions. Share your opinion. Respond when they reach out to the class for thoughts. Don’t just stare blankly at them.

4. Address them properly.

Professor is the standard. Never Mister or Miss. Doctor is good as long as you are 100% sure they have the title. Remember their last name (you’d be surprised how often people don’t know the names of people who teach them.)

5. Talk to them.

They have office hours. Go to them. Let them know you’re interested. Let them know you’re enjoying the class (if you are). Let them know you’re struggling. Just go introduce yourself.

6. Get involved if you’re interested.

Find out if they’re doing research. Ask if they sponsor any clubs or campus groups. See if they have recommendations for other classes to take once you let them know that you’re enjoying theirs.

7. Say hello and goodbye to them.

You’d be surprised how far a simple greeting goes at the end of class or in the line for coffee. They’re human beings too, and they probably think it is odd when you just kinda stare at them when you see them out. 

Lead Image Credit: Campus Riot

Olivia Ray Laskowski - Northeastern University

Olivia Laskowski is a rising Sophomore at Northeastern University majoring in International Business and German, minoring in Economics and Global Fashion Studies. She is the editor in chief and founder of Fresh U Northeastern. In high school, she was an exchange student in Frankfurt, and she is currently studying abroad at the London School of Economics. She enjoys drinking coffee, walking aimlessly through cities and owning too many tote bags. Follow her on Instagram @o.ray or check out her website!