Display happy article yay
by Olivia Faulkner

Why You Should Choose a Major You Love

By Olivia Faulkner - Jul 24 2015

Choosing a major is one of the most important decisions that college students have to make. Our major determines the courses that we will take for the next four years. Sometimes what we chose to major in is influenced by those around us. In some cases, this influence can have a negative effect on a person's aspirations.

My passion in life is theatre directing and there is nothing that I want to do more in college than directing. Ever since I was a freshman in high school, I knew that being a director was my calling in life. Whenever people ask me, “What are you majoring in college?” I tell them that I am majoring in theatrical directing. Most of the time, I get positive responses, but occasionally people say, “Wow. That major will lead to nothing but disappointment.” The theatre industry is tough and the rejection can eat you alive if you do not have thick skin. I realize this and am prepared for whatever the theatre world may throw at me.

No matter what people may say, I block out the negativity and choose to do what I want to do. When you find something you are passionate about, you should never let it go and you should hold onto that passion for your whole life. If you yearn to major in math, but your mother wants you to major in history, then you should pursue math because that's what you're passionate about. You cannot live your life for others. And you cannot let others live your life. You have to do what your heart wants and chase after that.

Life is about living with no regrets. If you do what others want you to do, you will regret it. If you major in history instead of math because your mother told you, all your life you will regret this choice. You have to live life for what makes you happy and major in what you want no matter what others might say.

I have spent so much time trying to please others rather than myself and this has lead to unhappiness in my life. At this point in my life though, I have decided to put my happiness before others and do what I want to do. Although many do not support my major, I am choosing to ignore those people and do what makes me happy. I have become a happier person now that I have put myself first.

Do not lose sight of what you love due to the opinions of others. If you want to major in kinesiology and others tell you not to, then disregard those people and major in kinesiology. You will not regret it later in life when you are living your dream as kinesiologist. Majoring in something you are passionate about will lead to a successful life and career in that field.

You do you. You go after what you love and block out all the haters that stop you from trying to reach your fullest potential. Surround yourself with those who support your major and your passions and you will find nothing but joy. If you do what others want you to do, then you will be living a life of sadness.

I encourage you once more to live your life to the fullest and do what makes you happy. You will never be happy unless you are living your life the way you want and going after your passions in life. Major in what you desire to and you will undoubtedly find happiness and success in your life.

Olivia Faulkner - Marymount Manhattan College

Olivia Faulkner (she/her/hers) is pursuing a Theatre Arts-Directing major and a double minor in Psychology and Sociology at MMC. She hopes to become a theatre educator and a professional director for Broadway and National Touring companies. You can find her on Facebook at Olivia Faulkner, follow her on Instagram @olivia_faulkner and on Twitter @ollleythetrolly.