by Noemi Griffin

What Happened in South Carolina and Nevada?

By Noemi Griffin - Feb 24 2016

What DID happen in South Carolina and Nevada? We saw the definitive end of the Bush dynasty. Voters didn’t penalize Trump for his Michael Moore-esque commentary in response to George W. Bush's handling of the Iraq war. And Bernie Sanders ‘political revolution’ barely even showed up to vote.

Here’s a breakdown of the results in both states (the Democratic primary for South Carolina will be held Feb. 27).

Information in graph gathered from The Washington Post

Hilary Clinton is currently reporting a 26-point lead over Bernie Sanders. 

What do these results mean for the rest of the election? Trump's definitive win in South Carolina with all 50 of the state's delegates has put him on the fast track to the Republican nomination, every Republican candidate who won both New Hampshire and South Carolina has secured the party nomination. If there was any question before, now there isn't. Trump's campaign is not a joke. 

The results of these two primaries also don't present a "not-Trump" candidate. With both Cruz and Rubio taking about 22% of the vote, neither is destined to bow out like Bush did this weekend, but neither is poised to give Trump a run for his money. However, Rubio is most likely to benefit from Jeb's departure, but with John Kasich hanging on by a thread he'll continue to pull some of those votes. 

Hillary Clinton just might've gotten her groove back, after being blown out by Bernie Sanders in New Hampshire, in Nevada with her 19 to 15 win over Sanders. This wouldn't have necessarily been bad for Sanders, who might've won had his key demographic come out for the primary, but fewer voters showed up to the poll which could become a trend as we get farther down the line. The lower turn out election skewed the electorate older with just 37% under 45.  Sanders still has credibility in the democratic party and with young voters so he's still not going away anytime soon. 

Sanders polled better with Latino voters, 53 to 45, and Clinton polled better with African American voters, with a 3-1 vote for in favor of her campaign. 

During this election, we are also seeing the possibility of a brokered convention. What this means is that if none of the candidates finish the primary season with the majority of the delegates, then another ballot will have to be cast. Ballots will be cast until one candidate has secured a majority vote. With the 2016 race being so close on the Republican side, there is a chance that Trump, Rubio, and Cruz will have to battle it out past the last caucus. The last time the Republican party saw this outcome was 1952. Whether or not a brokered convention will occur will become clearer with the next couple of primaries. 

If the primaries in your state still haven't taken place, make sure that you show up to the polls. Young voters are incredibly important in determining who will be the leader of our country for the next four years. If you would like to have a say in what happens, take action and vote

And now it's on to Super Tuesday. 

Lead Image Credit: CNN

Noemi Griffin - Mercer University

Noemi Griffin is a Journalism and Spanish major at Mercer University. Her true passion is dogs and it is truly a great day whenever there is a dog in sight. Instagram: noemioriana Twitter: noemi_oriana