by Noemi Griffin

This Lawmaker Thinks ISIS Should Be Able To Recruit On College Campuses

By Noemi Griffin - Mar 19 2016

Knoxville representative Martin Daniel said in a conference Wednesday that he believes that ISIS should be able to recruit on college campuses. 

The response was made after another representative, John DeBerry Jr., asked Daniel if he believed ISIS should be able to stand in the middle of university campuses and “recruit for ISIS.” DeBerry was making a point about free speech on campuses, the focus of the bill being presented. 

The bill is named the "Tennessee Student Free Speech Protection Act." The remarks came after a debate ensued concerning the act. The bill would direct schools to observe freedom of speech on campus. According to USA Today, Daniel argued that freedom of speech for students had been diminished in recent years because of unfair policies. 

The question and comment were fairly unprecedented as the bill is intended to bolster the free speech of the students. However, it is plausible that the bill could be used to justify outrageous occurrences like the ISIS one mentioned. 

Immediately after the ISIS comment was made by Daniel, the House Education Administration and Planning Subcommittee recommended the bill be taken off notice. 

Lead Image Credit: Wikimedia Commons

Noemi Griffin - Mercer University

Noemi Griffin is a Journalism and Spanish major at Mercer University. Her true passion is dogs and it is truly a great day whenever there is a dog in sight. Instagram: noemioriana Twitter: noemi_oriana