by Noemi Griffin

This Hashtag Is Honoring Forgotten Black Women in History

By Noemi Griffin - Mar 29 2016

Both Women's History Month and Black History Month are celebrated in February. In honoring both of these, however, we've seen a trend of forgetting the important black women of history. This new twitter trend is honoring both at the same time. 

Dr. Aimee Meredith Cox, a cultural anthropologist at Fordham University, told Mashable that "Black women have traditionally been written out of history unless it is in the context of victimization... when they have been recognized."  #BlackWomensHistoryMonth is a twitter hashtag started by Reggie Cunningham (@kidnoble) aimed at recognizing black women who have contributed to American history but are rarely recognized. 

Cunningham starts each tweet with the name and picture of the honoree, and then his next series of tweets are dedicated to giving facts about the individual. 

Cunningham will post about the woman's achievements with a series of about 20 tweets. 

Everyday this month, Cunningham has posted a set of tweets with #BlackWomensHistoryMonth at around 9:30 a.m. CST. The trend has taken off and a large portion of twitter (and some of Instagram) has gotten involved. 

Cunningham has garnered a lot of media attention from websites like Mashable, HuffPost Black Voices, HuffPost Women, and Paper Magazine. Follow him @kidnoble and see who else he honors for the rest of March, or take a look through the hashtag #BlackWomensHistoryMonth.

Noemi Griffin - Mercer University

Noemi Griffin is a Journalism and Spanish major at Mercer University. Her true passion is dogs and it is truly a great day whenever there is a dog in sight. Instagram: noemioriana Twitter: noemi_oriana