by Noemi Griffin

Students Fire Back Against Fraternity's Trump Wall

By Noemi Griffin - Apr 16 2016

Last Thursday the Tulane University Chapter of Kappa Alpha Order constructed a wall of sandbags covered in pro-Trump slogans around their house. The wall was dismantled Tuesday due to complaints that arose in response to the wall. 

In an email the chapter sent USA Today, that wall was built as a part of an annual tradition where the fraternity's pledges erect a barrier around the house. The email stated that this year's barrier was intended to  “mock the ideologies of a political candidate”:

“Our chapter takes KA’s values of gentlemanly conduct very seriously. This respect extends to every student of Tulane and every member of the broader community. The comment was written on a makeshift wall on our private property, normally used for a game of capture the flag, to mock the ideologies of a political candidate. This had an unintended negative effect and as such it has been dismantled.”

However, some students weren't in on the joke. Khristyan Trejo, a member of student Latino organization GENTE, say it was offensive. 

“This really pushed it overboard for students of color on campus,” Trejo told USA Today. “It’s one thing to see an endorsement of Trump on campus — that’s freedom of speech — but it’s another to see the wall when it’s a symbol of racism and oppression. As someone with family across the (Mexico-United States) border and knowing people are murdered at the border every day, for (KA) to treat it as a joke and try to justify their actions with satire — well, it’s not a joke to students of color.”

Claire Cruz, another freshmen, said it was "disgusting to see this happening in the U.S the 'melting pot' of the world."

Other campus organization like SOAR, Students Organizing Against Racism, protested the wall. 

A video of the wall being dismantled was also posted to YouTube. The wall was dismantled by protesting students, not the brothers of KA. 

Lead Image Credit: Facebook

Noemi Griffin - Mercer University

Noemi Griffin is a Journalism and Spanish major at Mercer University. Her true passion is dogs and it is truly a great day whenever there is a dog in sight. Instagram: noemioriana Twitter: noemi_oriana