by Noemi Griffin

Students At University of Missouri Can Take a Class On Sleep From Their Own Beds

By Noemi Griffin - Apr 10 2016

Technology is great, but undoubtedly there are some downfalls in our rapid progression and infatuation with it. We all know that it's distracting, particularly so when you're writing that term paper that you'd rather not be. But as college students, we're finding out every day how technology can disrupt our sleep. 

However, while technology may be ruining our sleeping patterns, it is helping researchers learn more and more about the way that sleep works. Research is being done at places like the National Sleep Foundation and the Stanford Center for Sleep Sciences and Medicine to grow our understanding of the mechanics of sleep. 

According to a report by the Huffington Post, the University of Missouri is offering students a class that they can take from the comfort of their beds. Associate Professor at the University of Missouri School of Psychological Sciences, Dennis Miller, is offering an online class called Sleep and Sleep Disorders that focuses on teaching students about sleep deprivation. 

“The goal of the class is to get a basic overview of what happens when we sleep, why it’s important and some of the common sleep disorders that people might experience,” Miller said. 

The course is nine months long, making it an immersive experience even though no formal classroom is used. The class aims to educate students on how their choices affect their sleep and potential psychological disorders. One such example is how alcohol consumption affects sleep. Even if you sleep until the late afternoon after a night of drinking, you most likely still aren't getting a good night's sleep. 

“Regardless of how many hours of sleep you get, low quality sleep will make you feel groggy and drowsy, and long term that can contribute to psychological disorders like depression and anxiety,” Miller said. 

Having drastically different sleep habits on the weekends is potentially harmful to a person’s sleep schedule during the week, as sleeping in late or relying on naps creates a harmful reliance on midday rest. Miller recommends a regular sleep schedule. When students understand their sleep patterns and recognize when it’s time to make a change in their habits, they are taking a big step toward better overall health.

Sleep and Sleep Disorders is just one class at one university, but it shows that the nation is making great strides in sleep education. Make sure to get the beauty sleep that you need.

Lead Image Credit: Disney

Noemi Griffin - Mercer University

Noemi Griffin is a Journalism and Spanish major at Mercer University. Her true passion is dogs and it is truly a great day whenever there is a dog in sight. Instagram: noemioriana Twitter: noemi_oriana