by Noemi Griffin

Rising Tuition Costs Continue to Outrage Students

By Noemi Griffin - Mar 11 2016

The cost of attending the University of Southern California is now more expensive than four of the seven Ivy League schools. As is imaginable, the students aren't happy about it. 

The tuition spike has sparked protests among the student body, who are demanding a tuition freeze, more transparency and more student involvement in tuition decisions.  Despite a previous tuition freeze resolution that the Undergraduate Student Government passed, the university upped the cost of attendance anyway. 

The 2016-2017 will cost nearly $2000 more for students, the total cost of the university totaling around $70,000 when housing and fees are factored in. A few students have said that they will now need to begin taking out loans, and one prospective student expressed that he no longer wanted to attend the university. 

Although the university reports that it grants two thirds of its students some sort of financial aid, this still isn't enough. One USG senator believes that if the university wants to remain competitive, it will have to lower its tuition costs. Some universities, with comparable costs, don't make families who fall below a certain income pay tuition. 

Protests on Monday ended with a sit-in a the office of the Provost. USC will have to make some adjustments to their plan if the administration wants its students to remain satisfied with their choice of university. USC has yet to issue a statement on the matter. 

Lead Image Credit: Bovard Auditorum / administration building at the University of Southern California. Photo by Brion Vibber, released under GNU FDL as part of Wikipedia

Noemi Griffin - Mercer University

Noemi Griffin is a Journalism and Spanish major at Mercer University. Her true passion is dogs and it is truly a great day whenever there is a dog in sight. Instagram: noemioriana Twitter: noemi_oriana