Display 7755304034 31b9375a4c o
by Noemi Griffin

There's A Mumps Outbreak in Boston Area Colleges

By Noemi Griffin - Mar 28 2016

There are now 16 confirmed cases of the mumps at Harvard University. Boston University has four confirmed cases, and Tufts has two. 

The mumps is a very rare disease with less than 20,000 US cases per year. According to the CDC the most common symptoms of mumps include; fever, headache, muscle aches, tiredness and loss of appetite, and swollen and tender salivary glands. 

The Tab reports that this marks the fourth week of Harvard's mumps outbreaks and affected students are being quarantined by university health services. 

Harvard University Health Services director, Paul Barreira, advised students that “the mumps virus is transmitted by respiratory droplets and by direct contact with nasopharyngeal secretions. Treatment is focused on relief of symptoms such as fever and pain from facial swelling.”

University Health Services also added that prevention is centered on good hygiene and told students that if they experience any symptoms to avoid public activity and contact health services right away. 

Lead Image Credit: Bernardo Wolff (flickr.com Creative Commons)

Noemi Griffin - Mercer University

Noemi Griffin is a Journalism and Spanish major at Mercer University. Her true passion is dogs and it is truly a great day whenever there is a dog in sight. Instagram: noemioriana Twitter: noemi_oriana