Display o santa claus facebook
by Noemi Griffin

Dear Santa Claus... And Our Childhood Selves

By Noemi Griffin - Dec 24 2015

Dear Santa Claus,

How’s it going big man? How’s the wife? The reindeer? I know I might be “too old” to be drafting this letter, but I had some Christmas requests and I didn’t know of a better person to file them with. We’re in college now and every year it feels less and less like Christmas until the very last minute. Living in the dorms and studying for finals, crazy last minute packing to go home, and all the pre-holiday partying in the month of December means less of a month long buildup to the best holiday of the year. Despite any efforts from our schools to pump us up for the big day, we still don’t get us as excited as we used to when we were kids.

To be fair, Christmas in Georgia has always lacked the movie magic quality that a white Christmas brings. But this year we’ve not only spent less than two weeks at home getting in the spirit, but it’s been the warmest winter that I can remember. My childhood self is freaking out, it’s wishing we lived in Rhode Island again where it was almost guaranteed there’d be snow on the ground early Christmas morning. It’s wishing at the very least, if we’re in Georgia, that there will be frost covering the grass and cars.

Trying to use this break to catch up on my sleep schedule only means that I’m way less likely to get out of bed and run to the Christmas tree at 6 AM. More likely than not I’ll amble out of bed to the smell of already cooked breakfast closer to 10. Then by the time my family and I eat and unwrap presents we’re already well into the afternoon. Maybe another nap during the day and a movie and there goes Christmas day. Left with so little time to bask in the Christmas glow.

What I’m really trying to ask is this: Can I go back to being a kid for just one day? While I love the independence college brought, with each class, test, and semester, I get farther and farther away from the little things that used to excite me as a kid. The Christmas magic wears off more and more as the years pass and the holiday just sneaks up on you, requiring you to purchase gifts and write cards faster than you thought you’d have to. So for this Christmas here’s what’s on my list: I want to wake up Christmas morning with the bright eyes of my younger self, run to the tree to demolish wrapping paper and play with everything at least once, and spend the day in the company of my family, reveling in the Christmas spirit.

Sincerely, 

A girl who thinks she’s been exceptionally nice in her first semester at college

Lead Image Credit: Huffington Post 

Noemi Griffin - Mercer University

Noemi Griffin is a Journalism and Spanish major at Mercer University. Her true passion is dogs and it is truly a great day whenever there is a dog in sight. Instagram: noemioriana Twitter: noemi_oriana