Display 3530355168 40669070c6 o
by Noemi Griffin

How Bill Clinton Might Be Involved With Higher Education If Hillary Becomes Our President

By Noemi Griffin - Mar 28 2016

While the 22nd amendment prevents Bill Clinton from serving another term as president, there is nothing in U.S. law that prevents the former president from serving in his wife's cabinet should Hillary Clinton cinch the presidency. 

Slate magazine posed the possibility of former president Clinton becoming Obama's Secretary of State before the start of the current president's second term. Now Inside Higher Ed is postulating that Bill could become education secretary in Hillary's cabinet. 

This Monday Clinton (Bill) gave speeches at two colleges in the Washington State area where he gave comment on higher education and Hillary's college affordability proposals. Clinton spoke at Spokane Falls Community College and Clark College.

In his speeches, Clinton challenged Bernie Sanders plan for education, mentioned his administration's creation of HOPE Scholarships and Lifetime Learning tax credits, and most importantly explained the "Clinton Plan." 

He started off his speechifying of Hillary's plan with this; "We should have a system where every young person can graduate completely debt-free from any public institution of higher education in this country. Debt free." Clinton continued with going into some of the specifics of the plan, some of which are listed below. 

1. An increase in the Pell Grant to pay for supplies and living expenses (which is federal money for students in need to pay for college).
2. All students work 10 hours a week on a work-study grant.
3. For students to be able to consolidate their loans.

Part of the former presidents speech was skewed in the media because Clinton appeared to take a swipe at the Obama administration during his talk in Spokane, referring to the “awful legacy of the last eight years.” 

However, Secretary of Education is a feasible position for Clinton given what his administration did with higher education. Clinton's HOPE Scholarships and Lifetime Learning tax credits "were claimed in 1999 by an estimated 10 million American families struggling to pay for college. Lower student loan interest rates and fees have saved students over $9 billion." Former President Clinton also has a current position as honorary chancellor of a for-profit college company. 

Lead Image Credit: Kate Wellington (flickr.com Creative Commons)

Noemi Griffin - Mercer University

Noemi Griffin is a Journalism and Spanish major at Mercer University. Her true passion is dogs and it is truly a great day whenever there is a dog in sight. Instagram: noemioriana Twitter: noemi_oriana