Display 12993550 1055177107886156 2516960322212802129 n
by Noemi Griffin

'Actual Sorority Move' Photo Series Goes Viral, 'Total Sorority Move' Fires Backs

By Noemi Griffin - Apr 23 2016

The ladies of Sigma Kappa at Elon University have a message for Total Sorority Move and anyone else who they believe is perpetuating sorority stereotypes. 

Dear Total Sorority Move (and anyone else),
This is a message for you. We are a group of 200 passionate, smart, and assertive women. We are the women of the Kappa Zeta chapter of Sigma Kappa. We are not what your website defines a sorority. Nor can you define us as a whole. We decided that it was our time to stand up for sorority life. Here we are, real women, real messages, and ‪#‎ActualSororityMoves‬.

The campaign, started Wednesday, shows the sisters of the Kappa Zeta chapter of the sorority countering what they think are the sorority stereotypes. The chapter is saying that the campaign is not intended to be an attack on any outlet or group, but to facilitate a conversation about gender roles at their university. 

The chapter has amassed over 10,000 likes on their posts.

Well, TSM has seen it as an attack on their website (which they say is meant solely for comedy) and is firing back at the chapters accusations that their giving sorority girls a bad image. 

First and foremost, TSM is not an instructional guide on how to be in a sorority. It is not supposed to define what a sorority is or to shift anyone’s values or morals. It does not claim that there is one way to be a sorority girl or that every female member of the Greek community must fit a narrow archetype.

The article addressing Actual Sorority Move on TSM's website is defending their content as either making fun of an existing stereotype, or that their writers are just producing content that their audience can relate to. They acknowledge that the sisters of Kappa Sigma have done some extraordinary things but maintain that some of their accusations are incorrect. 

TSM is saying that they support healthy habits, like getting good grades, but are trying to reach all types of girls through their content. 

Either way, there's nothing negative about the girls at Kappa Zeta starting this kind of conversation. 

Lead Image Credit: Facebook 

Noemi Griffin - Mercer University

Noemi Griffin is a Journalism and Spanish major at Mercer University. Her true passion is dogs and it is truly a great day whenever there is a dog in sight. Instagram: noemioriana Twitter: noemi_oriana