Display hipster christmas card vector 23 2147498292
by Noemi Griffin

A Very Indie Christmas - The Top 5 Indie/Alt Christmas Albums

By Noemi Griffin - Dec 16 2015

It’s that time of the year again. And I know after all that finals stress we’re all looking for the best ways to get into the holiday spirit. What better way than to kick out the jams? We all know the classics from Ertha Kitt to Mariah Carey. But if you’re looking to hear some different takes on your favorite holiday tunes and, or looking for some new Christmas originals, here’s a list, in no particular order, of the top 10 Indie Christmas albums. 

1. A Very She & Him Christmas – She & Him

amazon.com

You probably know Zooey Deschanel from her roles in 500 Days of Summer and New Girl (among others), but did you know the doe eyed actress also has a band? She & Him is made up of Deschanel and singer-songwriter M. Ward. The duo has four other full length records Volume 1, Volume 2, Volume 3, and Classics. The songs on their Christmas album are all oldies redone in their light and fluffy indie-pop sound. She & Him brings brings an oddball, manic pixie dream girl feel to your favorite Christmas tunes. 

2. [A Christmas Album] – Bright Eyes

tumblr.com

You’ve probably heard ‘First Day of My Life’ off of the band’s 2005 album “I’m Wide Awake It’s Morning”, where Conor Oberst is the dominant sound on that album. You can expect to hear more of a mingling of the Bright Eyes family on [A Christmas Album]. At times the album can descend into the territories of the typical awful Alt renditions of Christmas carols, but those twinkling moments of sincerity make the album a worthwhile listen. 

3. Christmas with Weezer – Weezer

pitchfork.com

Weezer brings the irony you’ve always wanted to Christmas in this six song EP. Out of all the bands to put out Christmas albums I bet you never pegged Weezer to put their best foot forward for Jesus. And yet, the band slams through all the most Jesus-y songs in their power-pop sound. 

4. Songs for Christmas – Sufjan Stevens 

wikipedia.com

If you’ve never heard of Sufjan Stevens, just know this; he’s the granddaddy of the new-age hipster rock. And we’d expect no less from his Christmas album. Steven's 42 song long album mixes originals and traditionals in his ridiculous and whimsical sound. It’s easy to be wary of the albums two-plus hour run time, but don’t fret, it’s definitely a worth while listen if you’re looking for a interesting twist to your dinner party. 

5. Does Xmas Fiasco Style – My Morning Jacket

pitchfork.com

This album is my favorite on the list. By the looks of the album cover, consisting of the band in ill-fitting suits with bad haircuts, you’d think the band was going to bring “I don’t care let’s have fun” vibe to their Christmas originals, but instead Jim James’ beautiful voice brings in some true holiday spirit. 

Featured Image Credit: freepik.com

Noemi Griffin - Mercer University

Noemi Griffin is a Journalism and Spanish major at Mercer University. Her true passion is dogs and it is truly a great day whenever there is a dog in sight. Instagram: noemioriana Twitter: noemi_oriana