Display enhanced 13080 1459110832 1
by Noemi Griffin

These Michigan College Students Verbally Assaulted An Uber Driver

By Noemi Griffin - Mar 29 2016

A video emerged last week showing some University of Michigan students verbally harassing an Uber driver. The video (embedded below) is riddled with expletives and the antagonists are fairly aggressive. 

The University has said it is "extremely disappointed" in the actions of the students shown in the video. The students, who were identified as U of M fraternity members, had ridden with the driver Artur Zawada on previous trips that had gone badly. 

Zawada, who recorded the incident on his cellphone, reportedly told the customer, identified as Jake Croman a member of Tau Kappa Epsilon, that he would never drive him again because of the previous trips. According to Ann Arbor Police Sgt. Aimee Metzer, Zawada had filed a complaint with police alleging he had been verbally abused on March 20 by Uber passengers.

Alex Baker, the chief information officer for Tau Kappa Epsilon, told BuzzFeed News the fraternity was investigating the video, but did not name Croman.

“We are extremely disappointed by the individual’s demeaning words,” Baker said.

“At the conclusion of our swift, thorough investigation, we will handle the situation with appropriate action. Depending on the details of the investigation, this could include the expulsion of membership.”

Originally Croman did not issue a statement but later followed up with Buzzfeed to say this:

“This video shows one side of an argument I had with an Uber driver two weeks ago after he refused to pick me up on the basis of my religion. What you don’t see in the video is that the driver had made a number of offensive anti-Semitic remarks that provoked my response. I am not proud of my reaction to his discrimination and I regret my choice of words. Shortly after the verbal altercation, I filed a complaint with the Ann Arbor Police Department and they are now dealing with the issue.”

Metzer said they were unable to find Croman's complaint and Croman was unable to immediately provide a case number because he was "away from school." 

Zawada told The Tab that it was the first time he'd been treated so aggressively by a customer in his 30 years in the country. 

Lead Image Credit: Video Screenshot (buzzfeed.com)

Noemi Griffin - Mercer University

Noemi Griffin is a Journalism and Spanish major at Mercer University. Her true passion is dogs and it is truly a great day whenever there is a dog in sight. Instagram: noemioriana Twitter: noemi_oriana