by Nikki Frazer

5 Movies and Shows That Have Been Filmed At The University of Toronto

By Nikki Frazer - Jul 24 2017

The St. George campus of the University of Toronto is located in the heart of downtown Toronto and features a lookalike New York skyline as well as some of the oldest historic buildings in the city. Among the 60,000 students attending this university, many films have used classrooms, buildings and surrounding scenes from U of T. This article will list some of the most popular scenes from the films as well as their location on the campus. 

1. Mean Girls

Paramount Pictures

This 2004 classic comedy features Convocation Hall in one of its scenes with Lindsay Lohan, as well as a scene that shoots in front of University College — that's so fetch!

Wikimedia Commons

2. The Incredible Hulk

Marvel Studios  

Marvel's 2008 Blockbuster, The Incredible Hulk, features the gothic facade of Knox College, which was established in 1844 in Toronto. 

Wikimedia Commons

3. The Prince and Me

Lionsgate Productions

This classic 2004 romantic comedy has its famous library scene take place at Victoria College's E.J. Pratt Library, on the north side of campus. Also featured in the film are the Earth Sciences Building and Sidney Smith Cafe. 

Wikimedia Commons

4. Resident Evil: Afterlife

Impact Pictures Productions

In this 2010 thriller, the modern floating classrooms of the Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy building are featured. Robarts Library also plays a zombie-infested, post-apocalyptic, mega-prison. Students may relate to this representation during exam studying! 

Wikimedia Commons

5. Suits

Hypnotic Productions

A hit Netflix original series continued on Wards from 2011, Suits has multiple filming locations around the city of Toronto, but repeatedly filmed at Victoria College during its seventh season this year. 

Wikimedia Commons

The University of Toronto, in addition to being the largest university in Canada, has become a place to visit for movie lovers and trivia aficionados. There are many more productions that have used the St. George campus as a place to film, so make sure to watch out for hints of Toronto and U of T signs in the next movie you watch! 

Nikki Frazer - University of Toronto

Nikki is a student at the downtown campus of the University of Toronto studying Physics and Philosophy. She loves the wilderness of her home in B.C, as well as the energy of the biggest city in Canada!