by Nicole Molinari

9 Closet Essentials for College Students

By Nicole Molinari - Oct 19 2017

Living on your own in college is great – you have more freedom, you get to live with friends and you begin to understand what being an adult is all about. However, if there's one major drawback that comes with living in dorms or an apartment, it's limited storage for your clothes. Keeping this in mind, here are nine closet essentials for all college students, so you can make the most of your closet space while covering all your basic clothing needs. 

1. Formal wear

This is important, especially for presentations and interviews. You should have at least one business professional outfit, consisting of dress pants, dress shoes, a dress shirt and a blazer/jacket. You may not think it's necessary, but I couldn't tell you the number of times I required a professional outfit during the school year, even outside of classes.

2. Comfy clothes

I'm hoping this is a given for most people. While the media often portrays college students as very fashionable and stylish, I can promise you that 99 percent of people do not dress for the runway on a daily basis. You'll have days where you want to wear sweats, just as you'll have days where you enjoy dressing up a bit more. Moral of the story: Comfy clothes are essential to surviving school.

3. "Night out" outfits

Most often you'll see people dressed up nicely when they go out with friends to bars or parties. Have a couple pairs of shoes, a few tops and one or two pairs of pants for these occasions. 

4. A raincoat

No matter where you live, you will need this at some point. If you don't have one (because they can be pretty expensive), keep an umbrella in your closet. Preparing for occasional rain may not seem like a big deal, but you'll thank yourself once you've dragged yourself through the rain and managed to stay dry the entire time.

5. Running shoes

Again, no matter how much you like dressing up, there will definitely be days where you want to attend class in comfy clothes – and that goes for shoes as well. Keep a pair for running errands and other mundane tasks.

6. Athletic wear

Even if you're not an athletic person, you will probably meet at least one person during freshman year who asks you to hit up the gym with them. And even if you don't, having athletic wear in the first place may give you a little motivation to be active and make use of your clothing.

7. A fall jacket

For anyone who lives in a state where it gets cooler in the fall, keep a light jacket with you. In my experience, a jean jacket or leather jacket does the trick. It keeps you warm, but is light enough that it won't insulate you to the degree a winter jacket would.

8. A winter jacket

Again, this may not apply to everyone. If it snows where you go to school or it gets remarkably cold, it's worth it to invest in a jacket. I have a friend who spent freshman year running around indoors and sprinting short distances outside in the winter without a jacket in order to make it to her classes. Needless to say, it wasn't very fun for her.

9. Winter boots

As it goes hand in hand with the aforementioned, warmer jackets mean you also need warmer shoes to accompany your clothes. As long as your feet are warm and the boots have a good grip, you'll be just fine.

There you have it. By no means does this list encompass everything you'll need while away at school – it just lists some of the basics. Use this list as a good starting point while planning for school and buying things on campus, and add to it whenever you need to!

Lead Image Credit: StockSnap via Pixabay

Nicole Molinari - Wilfrid Laurier University

Nicole is a sophomore at Wilfrid Laurier University who is pursuing a major in business administration and a minor in writing. She loves working part time as a lifeguard, and in her spare time she enjoys reading and making memories with friends. A victim of late night syndrome, she knows she needs more sleep but wouldn't want to live her life any other way.