by Nicole Molinari

8 Ways to Get Festive for the Holidays

By Nicole Molinari - Nov 30 2016

It's that time of year again, where holiday ads are on TV and every mall you walk into is playing holiday music. Kids are getting photos with Santa, families are shopping happily and what are you up to? Probably stressing over finals and finishing last minute projects. So why not lighten up the mood and bring the holidays into your room, instead? Here are eight ways to get festive this holiday season.

1. Get a mini tree.

What's cuter than an adorable, low maintenance tree for your room? You can get some with ornaments, pearls and lights attached to them so you don't have to worry about buying extra decorations or losing them. It's the perfect way to make your room feel a little more homey, especially since there's a good chance this will be your first year without a tree if you don't live at home.

2. Wear a holiday sweater.

Yes, I know, this seems very basic, but once you really begin to feel the whole holiday spirit, it's fun! Dressing festive can be very cute, comfy and cozy. Christmas sweaters are adorable, but if you don't have one then leggings, a hat or even socks are great too!

3. Give out cards.

This is actually very helpful if you're close with a lot of people on your floor, or just have a lot of floor mates in general. Gift giving can be super expensive when it's for multiple people, so I kid you not when I say that many people appreciate cards and are happy with just that. It's the thought that counts, right? Not to mention that almost all of us are broke.

4. Buy candy canes.

This is in addition to giving out cards, if you want to do a little something more. Enjoy some candy canes for yourself, and also attach them to your cards! It's super cost efficient and a great way to enjoy the taste of the holidays within the comfort of your own dorm. 

5. Decorate your dorm.

This is a given, but you'd be surprised how many people don't decorate their dorms. Some people don't just because they don't have the time or money to, and that's perfectly OK! Decorating for the holidays is really meant to make your dorm feel more like home, especially if you've grown up in a household that always decorates. You can always put up lights, buy some cute wall decor or even purchase miniature snowmen figurines. The sky is the limit.

6. Make yourself some hot chocolate.

Why not? It's yummy, warm and contributes to the whole cozy feeling everyone is going for around this time of year. You don't have to buy the super expensive stuff either — you can get some brands at inexpensive prices. 

7. Play some holiday music.

Listen to some old-fashioned holiday songs! You don't have to purchase the music because you've always got Youtube and Spotify. Even if you don't know what to listen to, what with so many remakes of the same song in existence, throw on a radio station web player. Many stations are dedicated to playing only holiday music this time of year, so sit back and let them choose the tunes for you!

8. Watch classic movies.

Thank gosh we have Netflix, right? Or you can be super old fashioned and get an actual DVD. Rudolph, Santa Clause is Coming to Town, The Little Drummer Boy and How the Grinch Stole Christmas are all great classics you can enjoy during the holiday season. Take an hour or two away from studying and treat yourself! Pop some popcorn, make hot chocolate and watch a movie with your friends or floor mates.

All in all, the holidays are a fun time filled with love, joy and giving. It can be hard to feel like a part of the holiday when you've got so much else going on, and that's OK! You don't have to do anything extravagant for anyone — just make sure you take some time for yourself and invest in the magic of the holiday a little if that's something you truly want to do. 

Lead Image Credit: Skeeze via Pixabay

Nicole Molinari - Wilfrid Laurier University

Nicole is a sophomore at Wilfrid Laurier University who is pursuing a major in business administration and a minor in writing. She loves working part time as a lifeguard, and in her spare time she enjoys reading and making memories with friends. A victim of late night syndrome, she knows she needs more sleep but wouldn't want to live her life any other way.