by Nicole Molinari

8 Things You'd Rather Do Than Clean Your Room in College

By Nicole Molinari - Oct 18 2017

Whether you're just moving in, getting settled back in after fall break or reorganizing your room just for the sake of it, cleaning up and reorganizing everything isn't fun. If you're in the midst of cleaning your room but have decided that you need a well-deserved break, here are eight things you can do to distract yourself from your daunting chores.

1. Watch Netflix.

Why wouldn't you watch Netflix? Between being a fantastic stress reliever and the number one way to waste time, Netflix has earned its spot at the top of this list.

2. Lip-sync to your favourite songs and dance around the room like no one's watching.

If you're like me, you probably do this frequently. I have a very bad habit of opening iTunes on my laptop and finding my favourite songs, only to ignore the fact that my room is a complete mess.

3. Talk about irrelevant things with your roommate.

Such as why Kit-Kat bars come in pairs, ways to avoid losing your security deposit to your landlord and how to nicely frame pictures of your dog, amongst other things.

4. Spend excessive amounts of time doing irrelevant things with your roommate.

My roommate and I spent a solid five minutes trying to figure out how to assemble our Swiffer. You will have moments where stupidity hits you, but it's okay. As long as you can avoid cleaning your room, what's the harm?

5. Complain about how messy your room is.

Sometimes there is nothing better to do than spin around in your chair, observe your room and state how unclean it is.

6. Eat comfort food.

As long as you're not eating unhealthy on a daily basis, it is completely okay to indulge in comfort food every once in a while, such as ice cream, cake or chocolate. What's good for the tongue is good for the soul.

7. Look at all your due dates and try not to stress.

I do this a lot. I have moments where no matter how hard I try, I can't not look at my calendar and feel overwhelmed at all the work I have to complete. This is a natural part of the college life cycle.

8. Go through pictures of your dog.

Your fluffy, furry friend is waiting for you back home, so why not take a moment to miss them and admire how adorable they are?

Certainly, at least one of these must apply to you if you're trying to procrastinate cleaning your room. We all go through this at some point – it's just a matter of time and possible nagging from our parents before we do anything productive about the situation.

Lead Image Credit: StockSnap via Pixabay

Nicole Molinari - Wilfrid Laurier University

Nicole is a sophomore at Wilfrid Laurier University who is pursuing a major in business administration and a minor in writing. She loves working part time as a lifeguard, and in her spare time she enjoys reading and making memories with friends. A victim of late night syndrome, she knows she needs more sleep but wouldn't want to live her life any other way.