by Nicole Molinari

7 Thoughts You Have When Leaving for Vacation

By Nicole Molinari - Dec 17 2017

Simply put, this semester was tough. The workload for my major was heavier than freshman year, and the concepts were tougher to grasp. My roommates and friends noticed this shift as well, and we've been ready for the holidays since the middle of November. We've spent weeks plugging away at essays and math problems with almost no time for relaxation.  

Life, however, is all about finding a balance. While we've been exerting ourselves to do well in school, we've also been blessed with a break. A few weeks with nothing to do but relax? I’ll take that any day, and I’m fairly positive I fall into the stereotypical category of “that student who desperately needs a vacation.” To anyone who falls into this category with me, this one’s for you. Here are seven thoughts you probably have while getting ready for a vacation.

1. Relaxation, here I come.

Between school and work, you’ve stressed yourself out more than necessary and have probably had a mental breakdown or two because sometimes life gets to be too much. So now your chance to do absolutely nothing is here. Sit back, relax and find your zen.

2. I wonder how many shirts I can stuff into my suitcase.

And shorts, dresses, shoes, skirts, etc. I kid you not, the list is endless. I am guilty of packing heavy. I could be going camping for goodness sake and still try to find a way to bring all my cute clothes with me, regardless of the fact that style doesn’t really matter to anyone when you’re sticking it out in the woods. Nevertheless, I’m willing to bet that I’m not the only one who is so indecisive about which clothes to bring that I end up trying to bring them all.

3. Did I forget to do anything for work?

If you’re a workaholic like me, you’re probably stressing about getting all your shifts covered and making sure you’ve met all your deadlines so you don’t have to deal with an angry boss when you get back. 

4. Do I have to leave my dog behind?

I got to bring my puppy along with us since we went camping, but unfortunately, many hotels have a strict no pet policy. If you're jetting off to a resort or staying in a hotel for your getaway, chances are you have to leave your dog behind. This sucks, considering your dog keeps you sane all year round and now you have to leave them behind on your adventure.

5. I'll feel so refreshed coming back.

When I’ve had a couple weeks away from home with nothing to distract me except for a good book, I feel so content and ready to take on whatever hits me when I come home. Vacations are important for your mental health, and it’s important to take time off so your energy levels can recoup.

6. Should I get my hair cut before I go?

Or do I need to wax again even though it's only been two weeks? Should I do my nails before I go? These are just a few of the questions consuming your mind before you go on vacation, because looking good helps you feel good. The worst part is that they're hardly necessary or even relevant to going on vacation. 

7. I'd better come back with a tan.

Or, in my case, a gigantic sunburn. I'm quite pale and for whatever reason, my skin would rather turn red than take on a nice sun-kissed glow. If things are different for you, then congrats! You may return home looking like you actually went on vacation in the first place.

These are probably just a few of the thoughts that cross your mind when leaving for vacation. While getting away can be relaxing, the preparation can be stressful because you want to ensure that you have the best vacation possible. Take a breather, close your eyes and put a smile on your face as you head out of your front doors and towards some fun in the sun.

Lead Image Credit: via Pixabay

Nicole Molinari - Wilfrid Laurier University

Nicole is a sophomore at Wilfrid Laurier University who is pursuing a major in business administration and a minor in writing. She loves working part time as a lifeguard, and in her spare time she enjoys reading and making memories with friends. A victim of late night syndrome, she knows she needs more sleep but wouldn't want to live her life any other way.