Display fall house
by Nicole Molinari

7 Things That Happen When You Go Home For Fall Break

By Nicole Molinari - Oct 22 2016

Ah, the break. The beloved, glorified fall break. Most students appreciate the opportunity to destress and wind down after just finishing midterms, but the best part of all is finally being able to go home. Naturally, you're excited to see your family again and you'll fall back into a familiar routine, but here are some things you might not anticipate when going home for the break.

1. You move back in. Literally.

A week? How long could a week possibly be? Apparently, it's longer than an eternity. You're going home, so you have to make it feel like home; with all of your belongings included. You'll likely find yourself struggling to carry multiple suitcases to your car, filled with clothes, toiletries, and random things. When I went home for fall break, my dad was baffled at how many trips I made back to my room before we were actually ready to drive back home. I'm just lucky that everything fit in the car.

2. You randomly hug everyone when they pass by.

It's amazing how we don't truly realize how much we miss certain people until we see them again. When I was finally home, I kept hugging all of my family members every chance I got. Even my brother, who usually just stands there awkwardly when I hug him, hugged me back. Yes, everyone secretly misses you, too.

3. You discover that the freshman 15 really happens at home.

Why, you may ask? Because for the first time in forever, you're eating home cooked meals and suddenly you just can't get enough of your mom's cooking. It's not perfect, but it's probably way better than what the dining halls are serving you on campus (unless you're one of the lucky schools). Eat well while it lasts.

4. SPACE!!!

You can actually dance around in your house and not knock something over in the process. Dorm rooms may be cozy, but they'll never compare to the comfort of your own living room. 

5. Laundry? What's laundry?

Welcome home. You can start your break from adulthood by forgetting about dirty clothes for a week. Even better, there's a chance your mom may actually want to do your laundry because she's missed you so much. Who needs to waste their time figuring out detergent and fabric softeners? Netflix, here you come.

6. You remember that most people go to bed before 2 a.m.

You probably have university student jet lag. You know, the one where everyone stays up early into the morning because they've procrastinated homework and assignments. So there you are during fall break, wide eyed and perky at midnight while your family is sound asleep. Use this break to treat yourself to a proper good night's sleep!

7. You remember what good quality music sounds like.

It's very possible that in your time away from home, you've begun to miss your parents' speaker system. So once you get home, you just sit there, listening to smooth, static free music. How did you ever get by on playing music from your laptop?

Contrary to popular belief, coming home for the break is an exciting part of your freshman year. It's your first chance to really unwind, destress and connect with people you haven't seen while you've been away. Make sure to spend some quality time with your family and take time to relax, but also enjoy the little things that you might otherwise take for granted.

Lead image credit: Timothy Jarrett via Flickr

Nicole Molinari - Wilfrid Laurier University

Nicole is a sophomore at Wilfrid Laurier University who is pursuing a major in business administration and a minor in writing. She loves working part time as a lifeguard, and in her spare time she enjoys reading and making memories with friends. A victim of late night syndrome, she knows she needs more sleep but wouldn't want to live her life any other way.