by Nicole Molinari

7 Songs To Pick You Up When You're Feeling Lost

By Nicole Molinari - Sep 24 2017

Music is powerful and speaks to humans on so many emotional levels. Whether we play music to dance or just so we can sit back and listen, music can be an essential part of healing and moving forward for some people. For anyone who's ever felt lost and didn't know where to turn or what to do, this is for you. Here's a personal playlist of songs I listen to when I've had a bad day or need some alone time to take care of myself.

1. If Everyone Cared – Nickelback

Words could never describe how much I love this song. Between recognizing the need for unification and supporting those with mental health issues, this song beautifully encompasses an appreciation for life.

2.  Move Along – The All-American Rejects

A genuine acknowledgement of pain and suffering, Move Along shows us our own strengths as emotional beings. The music video especially struck a chord with me  the story is powerful, yet at the same time humbled by emotion.

3. Lullaby – Nickelback

For those struggling with bullying, their mental health or any other issue that is prominent in your life, Nickelback wrote this song specifically for you. Their lyrics are filled nothing but truth and tenderness.

4. Walk You Home – Karmina

Walk You Home emphasizes the importance of having someone to rely on, especially if you're ever feeling trapped with no one to turn to. If you ever need motivation to go see a counselor or talk to a trusted friend, give this song a listen and close your eyes.

5. Try – Colbie Caillat

Colbie addresses anyone and everyone who's ever questioned who they were in order to fit in. To anyone who is insecure about their bodies, looks or ability to fit in, I promise you that her message is full of truth and wisdom.

6. Be Somebody – Thousand Foot Krutch

A personal favourite of mine, Thousand Foot Krutch writes this song from a Christian perspective (given, they are a Christian rock band). Spirituality aside, the lyrics are mysterious in the sense that they are very poetic and hide a much deeper meaning. The most powerful part of this song comes from acknowledging the idea that humans are afraid of how powerful they are.

7. All I Ever Wanted – Brian Melo

Another personal favourite of mine, All I Ever Wanted is definitely an uplifting song that brings with it a sense of nostalgia and pure happiness.

Music is timeless, and these are just a few of the songs I turn to when I need to slow down and breathe. If you don't think these songs are for you, that's okay – everyone has different tastes in music, and there are plenty of other sites out there listing songs for when you're feeling blue. If you ever feel like you need to take a moment for yourself and put your headphones in, do it. Music has been scientifically proven to help improve moods and help people heal – all you need to do is decide that you want to take a step towards feeling better.

Lead Image Credit: geralt via Pixabay

Nicole Molinari - Wilfrid Laurier University

Nicole is a sophomore at Wilfrid Laurier University who is pursuing a major in business administration and a minor in writing. She loves working part time as a lifeguard, and in her spare time she enjoys reading and making memories with friends. A victim of late night syndrome, she knows she needs more sleep but wouldn't want to live her life any other way.