Display 16720593820 20994166bc o
by Nicole Molinari

6 Things to Try This Winter Break

By Nicole Molinari - Dec 27 2016

Ah, the break. After four months of countless projects, late nights and stressful binge eating, we made it through first semester. I know some people are super happy to go home and sit around all day watching Netflix, but if you're like me, you'll probably find it super weird to go from a busy schedule to doing nothing. So why not come up with some relaxing ways to keep yourself busy over the holidays? Here are some ideas to keep yourself happy and productive during this holiday season.

1. Write in a coffee shop while it snows.

What could be better than sitting back with your thoughts and enjoying the gentle snowfall out the window? Plenty of local coffee shops offer calming atmospheres to sit back and enjoy some personal time with a coffee. Bring a notebook to write in, or your laptop if that's how you prefer to write. Enjoy the festive tunes playing in the background and let your creativity run wild.

Fredrik Rubensson via Flickr

2. Visit old toy stores that you loved as a child. 

Sometimes there's nothing better than going back to a familiar place from your childhood to reminisce. Whether you were into dolls, cars, board games or anything else, visiting old toy stores will really spark a type of nostalgia that makes you look back fondly on memories. Who didn't love getting toys as a child on Christmas morning?

3. Go ice skating.

Whether it's with family or friends, skating is a lot of fun — even if you're like me, who only goes a few times a year and almost falls over every time I get on the ice. It's relaxing, gentle exercise and the ice rinks usually aren't that cold, so you don't have to bundle up with a heavy jacket. Have fun with it! Once you get used to it, it's lots of fun to race and try different kinds of turns. Just try not to crash into anyone if you're new to the whole skating thing.

4. Read a novel by an author you've never read before. 

People like to stay within their comfort zone at times, and they like to stick to familiar authors whom they've read before. But if you enjoy reading, then try looking for a good book by a new author. You may very well be pleasantly surprised! If you're not sure about what to read, try using an app called Goodreads. It gives you recommendations based on books you like, and voila! You may be on your way to a new favorite author.

5. Try a DIY Project. 

With lots of free time on your hands, this is a fun way to be productive and creative at the same time. With DIY videos and blogs all over the internet, you can DIY pretty much anything, from clothes to jewelry to gifts. It'll keep you relaxed and focused on the task at hand. Who knows, maybe you'll find your new favorite hobby with DIYs.

6. Try an adult coloring book. 

Adult coloring books have been up and coming for a while now. While it seemed like a corny fad at first, scientists proved that it actually helps people with mental health issues by giving them a creative outlet to destress, while also requiring focus at the same time. I have two of these books and I can promise you, it is very relaxing. This is especially great for people who don't have the patience to draw intricate designs before coloring them (like me). Take some time to color and see how you like it. You can even get some themed coloring books based on movies, if that piques your interest.

Winter break is a great time to sit back, relax and unwind. Hopefully you find a few ways to keep yourself productive and busy while on your break! Take care of yourself, heart, mind, body and soul, and make sure you find a way to enjoy this blessed season of giving. 

Lead Image Credit: nasir khan via Flickr Creative Commons

Nicole Molinari - Wilfrid Laurier University

Nicole is a sophomore at Wilfrid Laurier University who is pursuing a major in business administration and a minor in writing. She loves working part time as a lifeguard, and in her spare time she enjoys reading and making memories with friends. A victim of late night syndrome, she knows she needs more sleep but wouldn't want to live her life any other way.