by Nicole Molinari

6 Signs You Aren't Taking Care of Your Body

By Nicole Molinari - Jun 20 2017

Leading a healthy lifestyle isn't just trendy, it's important for your wellbeing. Staying active and eating well are just two components of the various factors that go into maintaining your body. When I say "maintain your body," I'm not talking about staying fit and toned (although that is encouraged). I'm simply talking about giving your body enough nutrients and rest so that it can function properly, because it helps you excel in various areas of your life. Keeping your energy levels at one hundred percent all the time can be tough, but there are so many things you can do to stay happy, healthy and alert. In order to do these things, however, you must be able to recognize when your body isn't able to function at its fullest potential.

1. Feeling tired on a daily basis.

We all go through periods where we spend days barely scraping through our classes. Constant exhaustion is a sign that you're not getting enough sleep. I know you have readings and assignments to pull through, but sleeping well will make you much more productive: Probably to the point where you get enough sleep and still complete your work in a more efficient manner.

If you believe you are getting enough sleep, chronic fatigue could be signs of underlying health problems. Check with your doctor for further details about how to manage this.

2. Frequent fluctuations in your weight.

No one is asking you to step on a scale every other day, but if you notice that your weight changes more often than what your doctor considers normal, it's a sign that your body may not be functioning the way it should be. This can come from stress and not eating properly, so you should determine things you can do to destress and eat better.

3. You feel like you're on a never-ending roller coaster of emotions.

We all handle stress in different ways, and when the pressure is on, it's difficult for us to regulate our emotional responses to others in various situations. A common example is snapping at someone when you're feeling like you're under a lot of pressure. Certain things trigger different emotional responses. If you feel like your emotions are all over the place, you should check in with a doctor for any underlying health issues. Seeing a therapist could also be beneficial for helping you learn to manage your emotions.

4. You neglect self-kindness.

To determine this, you'll have to dig deep to get a hold on how you're feeling. What you define as self-kindness is probably different from how others define self-kindness, so you must remember that you know yourself best. This kind of neglect can come in the form of frequent self-criticism and difficulty maintaining your mental health. Self-kindness can come from simple things, such as taking a day off work, spending more time outdoors and taking time to do the things you love.

5. Your immune system has weakened.

There have been times in my life where I've barely gotten sick, and there have been others where I found myself catching colds nearly every other week. If you're getting sick more often than usual, it could be an indicator of stress, fatigue, improper diet, dehydration — the list goes on. Consult with your doctor to determine the cause of your frequent sickness and how to deal with it.

6. You constantly feel anxious and on edge.

Anxiety has the ability to affect all areas of your life. It can indirectly influence your body by affecting things such as dietary choices. If you've been diagnosed with anxiety by a doctor, then consult with them for options on managing it. However, if you've hardly dealt with anxiety and you suddenly find yourself feeling on edge more often, it could be a sign of underlying problems that you have yet to deal with.

These are just a few generic signs that you aren't taking care of your body. Not all of these will apply to every person, and I'm fairly certain that we all have certain things in our lives that tell us when something isn't right. So if you ever have a gut feeling that your body isn't functioning the way it should be, trust your instincts and talk to your doctor about it.

Lead Image Credit: thatsphotography via Pixabay

Nicole Molinari - Wilfrid Laurier University

Nicole is a sophomore at Wilfrid Laurier University who is pursuing a major in business administration and a minor in writing. She loves working part time as a lifeguard, and in her spare time she enjoys reading and making memories with friends. A victim of late night syndrome, she knows she needs more sleep but wouldn't want to live her life any other way.