by Nicole Molinari

5 Reasons I Chose to Live in a Residence Learning Community

By Nicole Molinari - Nov 23 2016

Here at Wilfrid Laurier University, freshmen have the opportunity to live in a residence learning community (RLC) when they apply for residence. It's essentially a floor within a residence building that is dedicated to students in a particular program or faculty. Being in the business administration program, I applied for the School of Business and Economics RLC, and I can say without a doubt that I couldn't have made a better choice when deciding what I wanted my residence experience to be like.

Sometimes when I tell people I live in the RLC, I get asked why I'd want to limit myself to only living with people in my program, and if I have difficulty meeting people in other programs. A lot of people say they want friends in a variety of programs, and while I wholeheartedly respect that, there are also a lot of benefits to living in the RLC that ultimately makes it the best choice for me.

1. We all have similar ambitions.

This one is kind of a no-brainer. We're in the same faculty, so obviously we must have similar career goals. But it also goes a lot further than that. Beyond sharing dreams and plans for the future, we all want to excel in academics. This is a given, but you'd be amazed at how many people go to university just for the sake of partying and having fun for four years. Personally speaking, I wanted to live with likeminded people who also have a drive to succeed — and the RLC was a guaranteed way for me to get that.

2. We all have the same workload.

Being in the same faculty, my floor mates and I have a lot of common classes. It's nice to know that everyone else understands your academic struggles, but what's even better is that we have the opportunity to collaborate with each other. The culture on the floor is so positive it's insane. We all want to help each other because then we all do better. I couldn't tell you the number of times I've been up until two in the morning with everyone working on quizzes and homework together. University can be overwhelming at times, but living with my floor mates has made it a hell of a lot easier. Not to mention that we have each other to help study for midterms and finals. Bless up.

3. We create connections for the future.

OK, so this one is a bit more specific to business, but it still applies. You never know who you'll meet. For now my floor mates and I are just freshmen, but in years to come these connections I build could go so far as to impact my career. Building a career isn't always about what you know, it's about who you know. Remember how I said we all have similar ambitions? If one of us makes it big someday, or even gets their dream job, the rest of my floor mates and I are fortunate enough to have that connection in the business world. Of course it's entirely possible to create solid connections outside of residence, but one day one of my floor mates could become a CEO, and I'd be able to say that I lived with them. That's pretty sweet.

4. There are some pretty sweet perks.

Within the first month of classes, my don had arranged for a dinner with the entire floor and two of our main business professors. The fact that we actually got to meet our professors and enjoy dinner with them was insane. Who else gets to do that? We're also pretty lucky that our don is a fourth year business major, so she's someone we can look up to as well. I've met some pretty amazing people simply because I'm from the RLC. How much better could it possibly get?

5. We're just like everyone else.

Mhm, it's true. Anyone who doesn't know us might actually think we're a bunch of nerds living together. Some of us are most definitely lovable nerds, but we still go out, party and enjoy ourselves too. School isn't the only thing on our radar. Contrary to popular belief, our floor is known as the "personality floor" because of the vast differences in everyone's personalities and how we are with each other. After a few months, we've come to be a dysfunctional family that everyone knows and loves, and I seriously wouldn't have it any other way.

All in all, living among my classmates has been an amazing experience so far, and I wouldn't change a thing about it. For me personally, there aren't any cons to living in the RLC, so why not do it? With floor mates as amazing as mine, I feel like I have the world at my feet.

Lead Image Credit: StartupStockPhotos via Pixabay

Nicole Molinari - Wilfrid Laurier University

Nicole is a sophomore at Wilfrid Laurier University who is pursuing a major in business administration and a minor in writing. She loves working part time as a lifeguard, and in her spare time she enjoys reading and making memories with friends. A victim of late night syndrome, she knows she needs more sleep but wouldn't want to live her life any other way.