by Nicole Molinari

14 Freshmen Share Their Most Embarrassing Stories

By Nicole Molinari - Feb 18 2017

The dreaded stories. The moments that make us blush madly as everyone suddenly looks at us. Some of us have been there, and some of us (fortunately) haven't. From embarrassing promposals to losing your bathing suit on a waterslide, Fresh U brings you 14 embarrassing stories from freshmen who've had their fair share of laughable moments.

1. Noelle A. – Wilfrid Laurier University

"In grade 11, my friends and I really wanted to go to senior prom. Since our friend was dating an older guy, we decided that our friend group could go with his friend group. One Saturday night around 2 AM, the guy came and picked up my friend so we went with them. While driving around he asked us where we wanted to go, so we decided to go to his friends’ houses and ask them all to prom. We thought it was a great idea at the time. I’d just come from work, and I worked at a bakery — so I was in puffy pants, an apron and a baker’s hat. I had a pizza pretzel from work, so I wrote 'Prom?' on it and we went to his friend’s house. I ran out of the car in my baker’s uniform, threw the pretzel at the door and then I bolted back to the car when I saw someone coming. It was so embarrassing. On Monday at school, the guy had told all of his friends everything that happened. It was one of my lowest moments. I’d promposed with a pizza pretzel. They were all laughing and the guy came up to me and said, 'Yeah, no.' Now he’s scared of me and my friends."

2. Carmela R. – University of Toronto

"I was looking at a painting as I was walking and I didn't see the double doors ahead. They were both open but I walked right into the middle structure between the two open doors. It kind of hurt."

3. Tiff C. – Wilfrid Laurier University

"As a business student, our goal is to work for big finance companies and companies with large numbers. Once I decided to volunteer to answer a question in my calculus class. At the end of the question when the professor solved it, the answer was a large number with five digits. I personally struggle with reading large numbers, so instead of reading it out, I just read the first two digits and ended with 'and five other digits.' Then the prof roasted me in front of the entire class saying, 'Well, it looks like you should be working in a convenience store, because in the business world there are very large numbers.' I was embarrassed. At the end of class he apologized for making a joke at my expense, but you know when the entire class goes 'Ooooh!' it hurts just a little."

4. Nathalie I. – Queen's University

"Back in grade 9 I was an awkward kid — not that I'm much better now — I had a crush on a boy in one of my classes. I didn't really know how to tell him I liked him, but Valentine’s was rolling around the corner and my school was distributing valentines to homerooms. After figuring out where his homeroom was by asking everyone, I decided I would send him a note signed 'your secret admirer.' However, I thought he would know my handwriting, so I made my friend write it. We submitted it. But when the valentines came around I was so nervous that someone would think it was stupid, so I confronted him at lunch in front of all his friends. My friend ran away, and I was left to stand there while awkwardly trying to explain myself."

5. Laura D. – Carleton University

"I fell down the stairs at the university centre during a really busy time, and everyone around me laughed and didn't even help me up! I was so embarrassed. I haven't been able to go up those stairs since."

6. Julia L. – University of Guelph

"One night I went for dinner with my mother, and I have a thing for forks. I don’t know why, but I like to keep forks from restaurants and this place had a particularly nice fork — so I decided I wanted the fork. I put it in my sleeve to take it, and I left it in there for twenty five minutes — the whole meal.  When we were getting ready to leave I bent down to fix my shoe, and I forgot the fork was in my sleeve. It flew out of my sleeve and slid across the floor. You know when you’re in a quiet restaurant and someone drops a plate and it shatters? It was like that. So loud. Everyone looked at me and I just thought, ‘Oh my god.’ So I picked up the fork, put it on the table and booked it out of there. My mom was laughing a lot." 

7. Megan D. – Wilfrid Laurier University

"In senior kindergarten during lunch break, a guy friend and I found a syringe and I don’t know why, but for some reason we decided it was be a good idea to suck our own saliva in the syringe and get the other person to drink it. So essentially, we exchanged spit. In eighth grade I found him on Facebook and we started talking, and the first thing he said to me was, 'Do you remember the time you told your parents that you were pregnant with my child?' I don’t even remember that. And then a year later I had a crush on him, which lasted all four years of high school. In grade 11 I was going through a box of old Valentine’s day cards that my mom had saved. She’d only saved one from all of my classes and it was from him — so it was like she knew."

8. Lana J. – Wilfrid Laurier University

"When I was five years old there was this park that my friends and I would always go to. One time we were playing sailor moon and I had to pee, but the park didn’t have a bathroom so my mom told me to go behind a shed. So I went and did my business. There were teenagers playing basketball in front of the shed, and I could see the ball rolling toward me from the side of the shed. This teenager ran and she grabbed the ball, but at first she didn’t see me. Then she turned around and said, 'Oh my god.' I could feel myself turning red as I sheepishly smiled at her and waved. I could hear her telling all her friends afterwards."

9. Cameron M. – Ryerson University

"When I was in grade 9 art class, we were painting pictures of apples. As I was cleaning my palette, the pressure of the water from the sink was put on so high that the paint and water splattered all over my face. Everyone in my class saw and I eventually ran to the bathroom and saw all the red paint all over my face. It looked like my face was covered in blood."

10. Trevor O. – Wilfrid Laurier University

"When I was 11 years old and in that awkward pre-pubescent stage where I actually cared about how I looked, I bought a pair of swim trunks that were way too big for me. These things were like pants. At a waterpark I went to the top of this super fast waterslide. It was literally like a 65 degree line down with some turns, and I stupidly decided to try going down backwards. So I got on this thing, and by the time I was at the bottom, my swimsuit and I had parted ways. I swam around in the pool afterwards naked for a bit trying to figure out what to do while also dying inside. Families cried laughing when they saw me. I made it to the corner of the pool and waved my mom over — and she cried laughing about it too. She got me a towel and I hopped out quickly. To this day, everyone in my family knows me as the skinny dipper.”

11. Darian B. – Mohawk College

"The most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to me was this time when I was walking in front of the entire school for an assembly. I was walking in a straight line along with the other students towards our seats when it happened. I stepped on the girl's shoe in front of me, and tripped over top of her. We both fell face first and all I heard was laughter."

12. Thomas K. – Queen's University

"I was tubing with my family, and we were going pretty fast over some decently sized waves. Somehow my younger cousin next to me stuck her knee right in my groin as we made our way around a big turn. She also managed to push me off the tube, and the water caught on my bathing suit and pulled it off. Since I was naked I decided to let go of the tube and fall into the water. When my uncle pulled the boat up next to me, he didn't believe that my bathing suit had fallen off. I decided to prove myself by showing them my bare ass. Later in the boat I had to wear the lifejacket like a diaper to keep myself covered. That's why they call me 'nature boy' now."

13. Katja Z. – University of Guelph

"I had biked to my grandparents’ house to visit my cousins who were staying there. We were all going back to my house, but I biked back while they drove. However, I wanted to beat them, so I decided to try taking a ‘short cut’ that I had never taken before. I ended up completely lost, but I didn't want to turn around ‘cause I had been going for over an hour. I didn't have a phone, so I couldn't call home and I started feeling desperate. I was about thirteen. I had felt so independent and responsible, and now I just felt stupid. I ended up going into a Pizza Pizza to ask if I could use their phone to call my mom. To my horror, I burst into tears, with all the staff and customers looking at me sympathetically and a little kid pointing at me and asking, ‘Mommy, why is the big girl crying?’ My aunt ended up picking me up, and it was humiliating for her to see me there in tears. When I got home all my cousins gathered around to see if I was OK. The last thing I wanted was for them to feel sorry for me. So then I burst into tears again! I was so embarrassed!"

14. Izzy R. – Sheridan College

"Last Thursday night and I was driving my sister to her friend's house. I entered the left lane and I was about to turn left when I hit a guy's car. I was crying because I'd never hit anyone before, but he was so nice about it."

There you have it. You're not the only one who's acted in the name of stupidity or had symbolic nicknames attached to you. For those of you who have yet to find yourselves mortified in front of other people, don't worry! It's bound to happen at some point. Your friends will help you out of it, but not without laughing at you first. 

Lead Image Credit: Ace Armstrong via Flickr Creative Commons

Nicole Molinari - Wilfrid Laurier University

Nicole is a sophomore at Wilfrid Laurier University who is pursuing a major in business administration and a minor in writing. She loves working part time as a lifeguard, and in her spare time she enjoys reading and making memories with friends. A victim of late night syndrome, she knows she needs more sleep but wouldn't want to live her life any other way.