Display img 0746 copy
by Nicki Kaplan

10 Ways to Remember to Enjoy Fall on Campus

By Nicki Kaplan - Oct 08 2015

Don't let homework and extracurricular activities flood your entire schedules during this autumn. While the following activities may not be as fun as getting lost in a corn maze or going apple picking, make sure to engage in at least a few of these season-friendly activities: 

1. Admire the Leaves

Whether you're peering out the window or walking to your classes, make sure to look up at the trees lining the streets and sidewalks. There's nothing like the sight of all the yellows, oranges, reds and golds melding together. 

2. Enjoy a Hot Beverage

Whether you're more of a coffee, tee, cocoa or cider person, there's definitely an option for you. Visit your local coffee shop or brew a beverage of your own and enjoy the festive atmosphere as you slowly sip your hot drink.

3. Embrace the Sweater-Weather

Fall's the time to start wearing boots and sweaters again, thus also the time to embrace the initial excitement of winter fashion. You should definitely take advantage of the short window where you can change up your wardrobe after a long, hot summer while still avoiding the puffiness of winter coats. 

4. Go on a Walk

Whether it's first thing in the morning or during the evening, a walk is always a great way to destress and clear your mind. Enjoy the cool air on your cheeks and breathe in the scent of the leaves as you get some light exercise. 

5. Visit the Farmer's Market

With only a few weeks left to go, now is the time to visit your local farmer's market. Fall is a fun time because there will be pumpkins and gourds on display--and many other surprises. Buy a bag of apples for your dorm room or enjoy fresh apple cider and apple cinnamon donuts. 

6. Savor a Slice of Freshly-Baked Pie

Somewhere on or around your campus there has to be a way you can get your hands on some pie. If it ends up being the local grocery store, so be it. Choose from apple to pumpkin to cherry to blueberry--the list goes on and on. However, if you picture fall, apple and pumpkin pie should do the job. 

7. Go Decoration-Watching

October tends to be a fun and festive month of autumn due to Halloween. On a Saturday or a lazy Sunday head out and walk the sidewalks to see what fun decorations you can spot. If you're near a neighborhood head down the street and discover which houses have the best jack-o-lantern display or witches hitting trees. 

8. Eat Candy

Even though candy is good any day of the year, around Halloween it's just more fun and festive to consume candy especially when all the brands come out with their Halloween-themed wrappers. Head to the store and break open a bag of M&Ms or a Kit Kat. Whatever it is you like--save some for me! 

9. Carve a Pumpkin

If you have a grocery store or a farmer's market nearby, odds are you may have the chance to purchase a pumpkin and possibly some carving tools. Lay out some newspaper and scoop out the goopy stuff, then give your pumpkin the haunting face it deserves! 

10. Attend a Halloween Party or Event

Whether you're a party person or not, there's bound to be some fun Halloween activity for you to take part in. Head into town and find out what events are going on. Make homemade costumes with a friend and head over to the nearest party. Or even host a movie night in your room and watch Halloween specials. Whatever you decide to do, as long as you're having fun then you're doing the right thing! 

Nicki Kaplan - Northwestern University

Nicki Kaplan is a freshman at Northwestern University majoring in journalism. In the next four years she plans to finish her novels in hopes of publishing them and make the most out of her journalism career as a student. In her free time she likes to obsess over cute animals, hit the gym, head to the beach, play the guitar and piano, meet and befriend awesome people and laugh a lot.