Display david di veroli 3639
by Natasha Beauchesne

5 Foods that Improve Your Memory

By Natasha Beauchesne - Jun 01 2017

We would all like to have a better memory. With college's seemingly endless required readings, long flashcard study sessions and lectures that you forget as soon as you leave the room, any little bit of help with remembering information is helpful. Some people learn through repetition and others use mnemonic tricks, but what about your diet? Food can play a very important role in memory, and if you have a big test coming up, you might just want to include some of these foods in your diet.

1. Salmon

Omega-3 fatty acids are structures in your brain that help neurons communicate with other cells in your body. Salmon is full of Omega-3s, so by consuming salmon, you are helping your brain to function more efficiently, and make stronger and faster connections. This can translate to a better working memory. A study at Rush University Medical Center confirms this idea: People who ate fish once a week were able to slow the decline of their cognitive function. 

2. Avocado

Avocado has been shunned for many years for being too "fatty." In reality, avocado is rich in the good kinds of fat — monounsaturated fat. These fats help support the development of acetycholine, a chemical in your brain that promotes good memory and learning, and is also crucial in your study sessions is motivation and focus. Avocados can help with this too: They contain the amino acid tyrosine, which makes dopamine. This can help you stay motivated to study and focus on the material. There's a reason why avocados are sometimes referred to as "the world's most perfect food."

3. Peanut Butter

Like avocado, peanut butter is full of healthy fats that can help improve your memory. It is also full of vitamin E, a nutrient that protects your brain cells from neurodegeneration. Just make sure that when you pick which peanut butter you eat, you get one with as little sugar as possible. Natural peanut butter is the best route to take. You can also get a lot of the benefits of peanut butter by eating almonds or hazelnuts. 

4. Blueberries

British researcher Dr. Jeremy Spencer found that people who drank a blueberry smoothie in the morning performed better on mental tests than people who did not have a food containing blueberries. Scientists believe this is due to the antioxidants in blueberries, which can stimulate blood and oxygen into the brain. 

5. Tomatoes