Display photo 1465433045946 ba6506ce5a59
by Natalie Day

These Are the Banned Books for 2016

By Natalie Day - Sep 29 2016

Each fall, Banned Books Week rolls around with a list of the most controversial books of the year. Libraries and schools made the most attempts at banning ten specific books. In light of this, Banned Books Week is important because it encourages the celebration of free reading, specifically when it comes to these debatable books. Listed below are the topic ten most controversial books, as named by the ALA.

1. "Looking For Alaska" by John Green

Wikipedia

This book starts off our list because is has offensive language, is sexually explicit and is unsuited for its age group, according to ALA. This book follows the story of Miles Halter who is fascinated by people's last words. He decides to travel in search of the "Great Perhaps," where he meets Alaska. For more information on why you should read this book, check out this Fresh U article.

2. "Fifty Shades of Grey" by E. L. James

Wikipedia

With its recent movie rendition, most people have heard of "Fifty Shades of Grey." This book makes the list because it is sexually explicit, being unsuited for its intended age group and many other reasons. If you want to be daring, pick up this erotic romance novel and follow the story of Anastasia Steele.

3. "I Am Jazz" by Jessica Hershel and Jazz Jennings

Amazon

This book takes third on the list because it directly addresses gender identity issues that come with parenting. It's also on the list because of 'inaccuracy, homosexuality, sex education, religious viewpoints and being unsuited for its age group.' Pick up ,"I Am Jazz," and decide if you think it should be banned.

4. "Beyond Magenta: Transgender Teens Speak Out" by Susan Kuklin

susankuklin.net

As the title says, this book tackles a very controversial topic that is very popular in the media today: transgender issues. This one makes the list because it is said to be anti-family, has offensive language, includes homosexuality, discusses sex education, takes a political viewpoint, takes a religious viewpoint and being unsuited for its age group. Check out more about why you should read this book here. 

5. "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" by Mark Haddon

Wikipedia

Here's another book banned by the ALA because of offensive language, its religious viewpoint, being unsuited for its age group and more. Check out why you should read it in our article.

6. "The Holy Bible"

Thinglink

It's no surprise that the most sold book in human history makes the list of the top ten most controversial books today. It's banned for none other than its religious viewpoint. Ironic. If you haven't read this one in a while, this is the perfect opportunity to brush up on your bible stories.

7. "Fun Home" by Alison Bechtel

Amazon

Written by popular American cartoonist Alison Bechtel, Fun Home is banned for its violence and other graphic images. Fresh U reported on why you should read this tragicomic novel. Check it out here.

8. "Habibi" by Craig Thompson

Wikipedia

Habibi follows the story of two child slaves that happen to have found each other in a shameful world. This love story is banned because of its nudity, sexually explicit content and being unsuited for its age group. This wonderful story is a great way to celebrate Banned Books Week.

9. "Nasreen's Secret School: A True Story from Afghanistan" by Jeanette Winter

Amazon
  • "Nasreen's Secret School: A True Story from Afghanistan," is about Nasreen's grandmother risking her life so she can get an education. This true and touching story is on this list because of its religious viewpoint, being unsuited for its age group and depicting violence. Challenge controversy and read this book to celebrate Banned Books Week.

10. "Two Boys Kissing" by David Leviathan

Amazon

This novel is clearly controversial based on the cover alone. It finishes up the list because of homosexual content and condoning public displays of affection. Check out why you should read this novel here.

There are so many controversial topics that these authors have dared to tackle. Be daring with them and read a few of these books in honor of Banned Books Week 2016. Happy reading!

Lead Image Credit: Eli Francis via Unsplash

Natalie Day - Columbia College Chicago

Natalie Day is a freshman at Columbia College Chicago and is double majoring in acting and writing. She has traveled to Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and Jamaica for mission trips. Natalie spends her free time binge watching Netflix and working on her life long goal of becoming an old dog lady. Follow Natalie on Twitter and Instagram @nat__day.