Display gift present christmas xmas
by Natalie Day

How to Do Secret Santa in College

By Natalie Day - Nov 26 2016

As holiday season rolls around, many people get antsy for holiday traditions to kick in. One of the best ways to celebrate at school is by doing Secret Santa with your friends. Not only is this activity fun, it's a great way to celebrate on a budget. Here's a how-to on Secret Santa in school.

1. Gather a group of people.

First of all, you need a defined group of people. Gather your friends, your roommate and whoever else wants to participate. The more people you have, the harder the game is. It is the most fun when you have about six to fifteen people. Once you have your group, you're good to go.

2. Draw names.

Get everyone together and use a hat or use this website to draw names. Everyone should get one other name and keep it a secret from everyone else.

3. Set a spending limit.

This is very important for college students. If you set a spending limit, nobody will feel bad if they have to hand make a gift or can only afford a trip to the Dollar Tree. Everyone is likely in the same boat in having a limited bank account, so decide on a spending limit as a group.

4. Set a time period and number of gifts.

Secret Santa should have a deadline leading up to the big reveal. If you give your group two weeks, for example, and plan to give one gift a week, then everyone is receiving and giving the same number of gifts.

5. Be sneaky.

The best part about Secret Santa is finding creative ways to give gifts. From hiding it in their mailbox to having a teacher hand them a gift in class, be creative in how you give your gifts. Don't forget to leave a note with a clever hint.

6. Have a reveal party.

When all is said and done, get everyone together with some food and ugly sweaters to reveal what names you all had. It's even more fun when each person has to guess who their Secret Santa was before they find out.

Secret Santa is a great way to get your friends together to celebrate the holiday season before you head home for winter break. Are you participating? Tweet us @FreshUOnline.

Natalie Day - Columbia College Chicago

Natalie Day is a freshman at Columbia College Chicago and is double majoring in acting and writing. She has traveled to Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and Jamaica for mission trips. Natalie spends her free time binge watching Netflix and working on her life long goal of becoming an old dog lady. Follow Natalie on Twitter and Instagram @nat__day.