by Natalie Day

Everything You Need to Start a Bullet Journal

By Natalie Day - Jan 01 2017

If you haven't heard about bullet journaling, now is the perfect time to figure out what it is. Bullet journaling is turning a blank page notebook into your own personal diary, planner, to-do list and book of doodles all in one journal. Still confused? Check out this Fresh U article on why you should start one.

So, you've decided this might be a good fit for you. Where do you start? Here are seven things that you should get to get started on your first bullet journal.

1. Notebook

Amazon

The first thing you need to start a bullet journal is a good notebook. Any journal, sketchbook or notebook will work. The most popular journal for bullet journaling is a moleskin journal. These come in a variety of colors, are very sturdy and travel well. Try this one.

2. Pens

Amazon

It's important to pick a good set of pens. Many people choose to use color in specific ways in their bullet journals, whether it be for color coding, doodling or a color scheme. It's also important to use a fine tipped pen to have precise lines and legible handwriting. These pens are perfect because they are colored, fine tipped and don't bleed through the pages.

3. Stamps

Amazon

Now that you have the two basic bullet journaling items, it's time to get creative. Some people really like the uniform look for their bullet journals. If this is you, using stamps might be the perfect option. Here are some stamps to help you organize your schedule in your bullet journal.

4. Washi Tape 

Amazon

Washi tape is the perfect thing to add to your journal. It adds color, lets you use straight lines and comes in all different colors and patterns so you can personalize your journal! Check out this set of cute washi tape.

5. Ruler

Amazon

A key part of bullet journaling for the perfectionist is to make sure you have straight lines. What better way to achieve this than using a ruler? This ruler is affordable and dependable.

6. Stencil

Amazon

If you don't like stamps or free hand drawing, stenciling might work for you. This stencil has numbers and plenty of other shapes and symbols to accommodate your bullet journaling needs.

7. Stickers

Amazon

Lastly, another great option to add to your bullet journal are stickers. You can get these in any variety you choose, but these in particular are perfect for the planning aspect of your journal. They'll help you keep track of important events and appointments you have coming up.

Bullet journaling is a great way to relieve stress, stay organized and express yourself. All you need is a notebook and something to write with, but these seven items make it much more fun.

Natalie Day - Columbia College Chicago

Natalie Day is a freshman at Columbia College Chicago and is double majoring in acting and writing. She has traveled to Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and Jamaica for mission trips. Natalie spends her free time binge watching Netflix and working on her life long goal of becoming an old dog lady. Follow Natalie on Twitter and Instagram @nat__day.