Display pexels photo 54566 large
by Natalie Day

9 Things Bisexual People Are Tired of Hearing

By Natalie Day - Jul 22 2016

There are a few things bisexual people are tired of hearing. To help you understand why we're sick of it, here's a glimpse of what goes on inside our heads.

1. "Do you like girls or boys better?"

Giphy

Bisexuality isn't a preference, it's part of who I am. It's not one gender over the other, it's who I'm attracted to, regardless of their gender.

2. "So you're attracted to everyone then?"

Giphy

No, bisexual people have standards, too. Just because you're straight doesn't mean you're attracted to everyone of the opposite gender. It's the same for bi people, too.

3. "You'll get over it."

Giphy

No, actually, this is the way I am. I won't get over it, but I'd appreciate it if you did.

4. "It's okay to be confused."

Giphy

I'm not confused. If I were confused, I wouldn't be talking to you about this. I am very sure that this is the way I am.

5. "Well, when you get married you'll be straight/gay, right?"

Giphy

Just because I decide to settle down with one gender doesn't mean I'm not still attracted to the other. My sexuality won't change or disappear because of a serious relationship.

6. "I could never date a bisexual. They'd probably cheat on me."

Giphy

Anyone can be a cheater. It isn't about the sexual orientation of your significant other, it's about their values and morals. I may be attracted to both genders, but that doesn't mean I'm interested in ruining a relationship because of that.

7. "Bisexuality isn't a thing. You're really just gay or straight."

Giphy

Bisexuality is a thing, I promise.

8. "I can change your mind."

Giphy

No, I'm good. I'll stay here, a comfortable distance away from you. Even if my mind could be changed (it's not a decision, though) that is not the way to do it! Gross. Go away now, please.

9. "Dating must be easy."

Giphy

Yes, there are more potential relationships because of my sexuality, but that does not mean there is mutual attraction and compatibility with every person I cross paths with. I have to like someone and they have to like me back in order to date, just like the rest of the world, and we all know that's not easy.

Natalie Day - Columbia College Chicago

Natalie Day is a freshman at Columbia College Chicago and is double majoring in acting and writing. She has traveled to Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and Jamaica for mission trips. Natalie spends her free time binge watching Netflix and working on her life long goal of becoming an old dog lady. Follow Natalie on Twitter and Instagram @nat__day.