by Natalie Day

8 First Dates You've Probably Had In College

By Natalie Day - Oct 10 2016

Going in to college, you're probably jumping right into the dating pool. Here are eight types of dates you've probably been on that are totally #relatable.

1. The cute kid from your English class.

Focusing in class can be pretty distracting when the cute kid two seats over keeps catching your eye. We've all been there; casually flirting through comments in class, a sheepish smile every once in a while and the undeniable attraction. Why not try going on a date with them?

2. The Tinder date you finally had the guts to go out with.

It's no secret that dating apps are a popular way to meet people in college. You secretly (or shamelessly) downloaded Tinder and found yourself swiping right. You started talking to a few people and decided to embark on the college experience and go out on a date. Don't worry, you're not alone. We've all eventually built up the courage to meet someone we've only talked to online.

3. The one that’s always been your best friend first.

We all have that one friend that we've known since preschool who ended up at the same college as us. For years and years, it was only a friendship; however, with the move to college, you may have found yourself thinking they're cute. With so much change going on, it seems natural to try something new with someone familiar. 

4. The hookup.

In the first few weeks of college, many people have a high sex drive and attraction towards more people than usual. Maybe it's all the change or meeting new, attractive people. If you find yourself in this group of people, you've probably had a hookup. The no strings attached, purely sexual type of date.

5. The rebound.

After getting out of a relationship, a common coping mechanism is to move on to a less serious partner. All of us have been in the position of dating and hanging out with someone to help get over our last relationship.

6. The person who won't stop asking.

There's always the very persistent kid who just won't stop asking you out. Eventually, you might say yes just to get them to stop asking. Don't worry, you're not alone.

7. The "flirtationship."

Everyone has that one person who they flirt with shamelessly. Often called a "flirtationship," an official date is bound to happen at some point.

8. The kid you date to make your ex jealous.

After a relationship ends, it takes a while to get completely over your ex. Many of us have chosen someone to flaunt in front of the ex, hoping they'll get jealous. It may not be nice, but we're all guilty of it.

Dating in college can be wonderful and terrifying. Fortunately, there are plenty of people to try dating. There's no harm in testing the waters with the different types of people you'll come across in college.

Natalie Day - Columbia College Chicago

Natalie Day is a freshman at Columbia College Chicago and is double majoring in acting and writing. She has traveled to Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and Jamaica for mission trips. Natalie spends her free time binge watching Netflix and working on her life long goal of becoming an old dog lady. Follow Natalie on Twitter and Instagram @nat__day.