Display hnck8990
by Natalie Day

8 Adult Things to Learn How to Do Before College

By Natalie Day - Jul 10 2016

There are plenty of things we're used to mom and dad doing for us. We don't give them a second thought until we're standing in front of the washing machine not sure where to put the soap or asked to bring in a resume at our first job interview. It's this little thing called adulting. Groan. To make it a little easier, here are eight adult things to learn how to do before college.

1. Laundry

The most obvious thing every teenager must learn before college is how to do laundry. Mom and dad aren't going to be around to do it for you anymore. It's not as scary as it sounds, just learn the basics! Separate your whites and darks, know what should be air dried and what's hand wash only. Look up a few Youtube videos and you're good to go! Just be careful of red socks.

2. Writing Checks

Even though this seems to be an outdated concept, you may run into an instance where you do need to write a check! This simple task makes you seem more knowledgable and put together in the adult world. An important thing to learn is how to write them so they aren't suspect to fraud.

3. Cook Basic Meals

We might be used to the luxury of mom's cooking and the convenience of the dining hall, but eventually there won't be someone there to prepare every meal. While cooking can be intimidating, the basics are very doable. If you know how to make eggs at least one way and make a pancake that isn't burned to a crisp, you're all set for breakfast. A few simple meals like grilled cheese and pasta can get you through the rest of the day without going hungry. 

4. Write a Resume and Cover Letter

Before going to college, it's easy to put together a resume. If you have one to start with, it's easier to update one rather than starting over every time. However, you will have to learn how to write a cover letter for each job you're applying to. The first one may be hard, but it gets easier with practice. Just be honest in why you are applying for the job and why you feel you are qualified.

5. Know How to Dress for an Interview

While you aren't necessarily being judged on your looks when going on a job interview, how you dress can impact how seriously you are taken. It's important to dress nicely--how nice varies depending on the job you're applying for. Usually business casual is a good fit. If you look presentable, it shows that you are actually interested in the job and are willing to put in the work. 

6. Have a Proper Handshake

Giphy

First impressions are very important. Whether it's a job interview, meeting a professor for the first time or making a bet, your handshake says a lot about you and your character. It's important to have a firm, but not too firm handshake, which you can easily learn how to do before going to college.

7. Memorize Your Social Security Number

How embarrassing would it be if you were sitting in a job interview and they asked you for your social security number and you had to call your mom to figure it out? Eventually you'll use it so much that you'll remember it naturally, but it only takes a few minutes to memorize nine numbers. If you can't remember the whole thing, the last four digits are the most commonly used. You'll need this number for a lot of financial paperwork, so it's important to know before college.

8. Change a Diaper

Even though it seems like you won't need to know how to change a diaper, you never know what kind of jobs you could snag with this basic skill. Babysitting and nannying are easy money jobs while you're in school. Knowing this skill makes you all the more qualified for those, as well as prepared for whatever life may throw at you.

Lead Image Credit: Picjumbo

Natalie Day - Columbia College Chicago

Natalie Day is a freshman at Columbia College Chicago and is double majoring in acting and writing. She has traveled to Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and Jamaica for mission trips. Natalie spends her free time binge watching Netflix and working on her life long goal of becoming an old dog lady. Follow Natalie on Twitter and Instagram @nat__day.