by Natalie Day

7 Winter Dates on a College Budget

By Natalie Day - Nov 21 2016

As the temperature drops and the money in your wallet is devoted to holiday gifts and going home for winter break, you may have run out of ideas for dates. It's very tempting to want to stay cuddled with your significant other and binge watch Netflix for the third night in a row. However, if you are feeling motivated to switch up your winter date night, here are seven ideas of what to do on a budget.

1. Ice Skating

No matter where you live, there's going to be an ice rink somewhere close to campus. Often times these ice rinks are free if you have your own skates, or you can rent skates for just a couple dollars. So get bundled up and spend a day falling on your butt with your significant other.

2. Build a Fort

Maybe you can't find the motivation to brave the cold weather. No big deal, just spice up your normal Netflix night. Grab a couple blankets and pillows and build a fort in the living room. You can even make this DIY phone projector to make your own mini movie theater.

3. Build a Snowman

Classic, but still a great date. When there's finally snow on the ground, head out to the quad or your nearest park and build the best snowman you or your partner have ever seen. Complete with stick arms and a carrot nose, you can't go wrong with this classic date.

4. Hallmark Movie Marathon

The best part about winter are the cheesy Hallmark holiday movies. Spend a day or night appreciating just how corny these movies are while cuddled up with your significant other and a bowl of popcorn.

5. Go Look at Holiday Lights

Nothing is cheaper than walking around town looking at holiday lights. This completely free date is sure to make you and your partner very happy as you appreciate the decorated trees and houses in your town. Look out for local events like tree lighting ceremonies to make your date even more official.

6. Make Holiday Cookies

What better way to flirt that putting frosting on your partner's nose? Spend an afternoon rolling out dough and frosting cookies for a great date. Not only is baking the cookies fun, but you get to eat them afterwards - a two in one date.

7. Indoor S'mores

If you have access to an oven or gas stove, you can easily roast marshmallows indoors. If not, you can warm marshmallows in the microwave, just be careful because they do grow. Making s'mores indoors is actually pretty easy and a unique way to hang out with your partner without breaking the bank or braving the cold.

Overall, winter can make dating somewhat difficult. Instead of staying glued to the couch, get creative. Any of these seven date ideas are perfect to switch up your normal dates in the winter without going broke.

Natalie Day - Columbia College Chicago

Natalie Day is a freshman at Columbia College Chicago and is double majoring in acting and writing. She has traveled to Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and Jamaica for mission trips. Natalie spends her free time binge watching Netflix and working on her life long goal of becoming an old dog lady. Follow Natalie on Twitter and Instagram @nat__day.