Display people lights firework new year s eve
by Natalie Day

7 Unique New Year's Resolutions Perfect for College Students

By Natalie Day - Dec 29 2016

With New Year's right around the corner, every college student is drumming up ideas for resolutions. This year, instead of claiming you'll work out more or eat healthier, here are seven unique ideas for your New Year's resolution this year.

1. Take on a photo challenge.

A photo challenge is the perfect way for you to express creativity and document your year through photographs. This challenge is perfect, asking you to post a specific type of photo weekly. Not only is this fun because you can get creative with the pictures each week, but it'll work on your discipline and timeliness when trying to keep to deadlines.

2. Break a record.

What better thing to put on your resume than being a world record holder? Here is a list of seventeen easy to break world records that you could potentially break. Do you love marshmallows or stacking coins? This might be the perfect resolution for you.

3. Hug someone every day.

A great resolution is one that brings joy to your own life and to others' as well. Hugs are proven to be stress relieving and mood elevating. Look here if you want to see the other scientific benefits of hugs. If you make a point to hug someone every day, you'll be a happier, healthier person.

4. Create a bucket list and finish it.

More than likely, every time you've made a bucket list in the past, you haven't quite finished it. What better way to spend your year, than creating and actually finishing a bucket list? In order to do so, your bucket list must be doable. I would avoid things like skydiving or a backpacking trip to Europe.

5. Learn something you didn't learn growing up.

There's got to be something you missed out on as a child, whether that be riding a bike or learning how to juggle. Teaching yourself how to do one of these things is a super fun way to be both nostalgic and learn a new skill this year.

6. Go out to eat by yourself.

One of the biggest struggles most college kids have is the fear of being in public alone. This year, face that fear and go out by yourself. Get dressed up and treat yourself to a nice dinner alone. You'd be surprised how relaxing it can be.

7. Start a bullet journal.

The newest trend this year was bullet journaling. If you don't know what that is, it's basically taking any blank page journal and making it into your own customized to-do list, planner and thought journal. Check out this Fresh U article for more information.

This year, try something new when making your New Year's resolution. You'd be surprised at how rewarding it can be.

Natalie Day - Columbia College Chicago

Natalie Day is a freshman at Columbia College Chicago and is double majoring in acting and writing. She has traveled to Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and Jamaica for mission trips. Natalie spends her free time binge watching Netflix and working on her life long goal of becoming an old dog lady. Follow Natalie on Twitter and Instagram @nat__day.