Display skyline buildings new york skyscrapers
by Natalie Day

7 Benefits of Going to School in a Big City

By Natalie Day - Nov 05 2016

When we all made our college decisions, an important factor to consider was location. Some of us wanted a traditional campus in a college town and others wanted a more unique experience. Going to school in a city is definitely a unique college experience. Here are seven benefits of going to school in a city.

1. Faculty are working professionals.

With the abundance of opportunities located in the city, it's likely that a majority of your professors have or currently are working professionals within your community. This means you as a student have a direct connection to the professional world, as well as learning directly from people who have experience in your intended field.

2. There's always something to do.

When you go to school in a city, it's a rare occasion that you'll be stuck in your dorm room. Not only are there plenty of campus events, but you have an entire city at your hands. You can spend your days exploring the city and attend local concerts and comedy clubs at night. You'll never run out of something to do when you go to school in a city.

3. You'll never run out of people to meet.

Similar to always having something to do, there are always people to meet. Unlike living in a college town, you're surrounded by a multitude of people from working professionals to college students like yourself. You can choose to surround yourself with a variety of people to expand your social skills.

4. There's no need for a car.

Living in the city, there's no need for a car. With thriving public transportation, from buses to the subway, you can get around a lot faster without a car. Not to mention it's incredibly cheaper and most schools provide a pass to use public transportation for free.

5. There are real life experience opportunities.

Another benefit to going to school in the city is having the professional world at your fingertips. With access to the working world in your field, you'll have plenty of opportunities for jobs and internships, which you can't find in a college town.

6. You'll experience every kind of diversity.

Depending on what city you live in, you'll run into cultural diversity at some point. Whether you can hop on the train and head over to Chinatown or go to a Vietnamese restaurant that serves authentic food, you'll definitely experience diversity when living in a city. Students and other people you meet will have come from all over the country or even the world. You'll meet people who've had very different experiences from you, which will help you grow as an individual.

7. You'll have a unique college experience.

Often times, colleges located in cities don't have traditional campuses. If you're surrounded by skyscrapers, odds are your school won't take over an isolated area in the middle of downtown. If this is true, your campus might be buildings intermixed with those of the city. Without this closed campus feel, you'll have a unique experience that is different to one with a traditional college campus.

Overall, going to school in a city is a different experience that may or may not work for you as an individual. While it is different, there are plenty of benefits to living the big city life while you're in school.

Natalie Day - Columbia College Chicago

Natalie Day is a freshman at Columbia College Chicago and is double majoring in acting and writing. She has traveled to Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and Jamaica for mission trips. Natalie spends her free time binge watching Netflix and working on her life long goal of becoming an old dog lady. Follow Natalie on Twitter and Instagram @nat__day.