Display pexels photo 28701 large
by Natalie Day

6 Ways to Make the Most of Lazy Days

By Natalie Day - Oct 23 2016

It's a rare occasion in college to have a day all to yourself. When it does happen, it's normal to be in denial and make a list of things you have to do to keep yourself busy. However, as stressed out college students, it's important to make the most of these days. Here are six ways to make the most out of your lazy days. 

1. Sleep in.

With early classes and trying to beat the dining hall rush, college students often get in the routine of waking up at 7 AM and begrudgingly throwing on sweats to look somewhat acceptable. The rest of the day is spent choking down lukewarm coffee and attempting to fight yawns. When you do finally get a day off, take advantage of it and actually sleep. Don't set an alarm and wake up when your body naturally does. You'll wake up feeling more refreshed than you have in a long time.

2. Stock up on snacks.

In preparation for your lazy day, run to the store and pick up some of your favorite snacks. You can't go wrong with a bag of Dorito's and some donuts. If you're feeling like splurging to fully enjoy your day, order takeout. Pick up a pizza or some Chinese food and indulge. You won't regret it.

3. Turn off your phone.

As hard as it may be, turning off your phone can relieve stress for the day. You won't feel the need to scroll through Instagram to see what your friends are doing. You won't be tempted to get out of bed or check your homework assignments. Turning your phone off can help your brain relax and calm you down for the day.

4. Take a long shower.

Nothing lets you feel more relaxed than a long, hot shower. If you can, bring some waterproof headphones or a speaker and blast your favorite tunes. Use your favorite beauty products and take your time. A long shower will help your muscles relax and leave you feeling completely refreshed for the rest of your day.

5. Indulge in a guilty pleasure.

What better day that your lazy day to watch old Shirley Temple movies or throwback to the good Disney days with some Hannah Montana. Take a break from your usual Netflix binge and watch something you know you love. 

6. Keep your backpack closed.

The looming stress of the upcoming week could really put a damper on your lazy days. This is when we say "out of sight, out of mind." Put your backpack away for a few hours and worry about homework after you've taken some time for yourself. If you're really worried about it, do some homework before your lazy day so you don't have any distractions.

When you finally get a day to yourself, take full advantage of it. As college students, the little time we get to relax is very important. Use these six tips next time you get a day off.

Natalie Day - Columbia College Chicago

Natalie Day is a freshman at Columbia College Chicago and is double majoring in acting and writing. She has traveled to Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and Jamaica for mission trips. Natalie spends her free time binge watching Netflix and working on her life long goal of becoming an old dog lady. Follow Natalie on Twitter and Instagram @nat__day.