Display pen writing notes studying
by Natalie Day

6 Reasons to Do J-Term

By Natalie Day - Nov 26 2016

Some colleges offer J-Term, a three or four week session in January where you can take an accelerated version of a class, work on a project or study abroad. While some schools offer this luxury, it isn't required and students are faced with the decision of whether to participate or not. If you're on the fence about J-Term, here are six reasons to enroll this January.

1. You'll get credits done.

The pressure to graduate on time may not be a reality yet, but upperclassman you will be thanking freshman you for taking a class or two during J-Term. By doing this, you can get a couple required classes out of the way, giving yourself a little breathing room toward graduation.

2. You get to focus on one subject.

J-Term classes are different than taking classes during a normal semester. Instead of having five classes, clubs and other activities to focus on, you only have one or two classes. This way, you can put all your energy into doing well in your class for three weeks without any distractions.

3. You get to come back to school early.

If you don't participate in J-Term, your winter break could be upwards of five weeks long. While hanging out with your family and friends sounds fun, they all have to go back to school, leaving you sitting around your house bored. If you want to avoid this, enroll in a J-Term class.

4. You might get to live alone for a few weeks.

If you decide to do J-Term and your roommate doesn't, you'll get the luxury of living alone for the month. This way you can Netflix binge on full volume at 4 AM without feeling guilty.

5. There are less people.

Another benefit of J-Term is that campus will be somewhat empty. Since only some students do J-Term, you may get to experience a snowy campus with just a few close friends. This allows for closer bonds with people and no annoying lines or crowds to push through.

6. You could study abroad.

Another opportunity your school might have is to study abroad. If going overseas for a whole semester is intimidating, J-Term might be the perfect option for you. You could spend your January basking in the Australian sun or roaming the streets of Rome. This way, you get all the excitement about a new place without having to stay there for months on end.

If  you're considering doing J-Term this January, take these six reasons why it's the best into consideration.

Natalie Day - Columbia College Chicago

Natalie Day is a freshman at Columbia College Chicago and is double majoring in acting and writing. She has traveled to Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and Jamaica for mission trips. Natalie spends her free time binge watching Netflix and working on her life long goal of becoming an old dog lady. Follow Natalie on Twitter and Instagram @nat__day.