Display notes macbook study conference
by Natalie Day

6 Reasons Night Classes Are the Worst

By Natalie Day - Oct 15 2016

One of the best things about college is the ability to plan your own schedule. You have the freedom to choose what classes you take, whether they're in the morning or at night. While having the option to take night classes can be great, here are six reasons why they're the worst.

1. You don't have any free time.

Taking night classes can free up your day beforehand, but getting out of class at 10 PM doesn't allow you any free time after class. By the time you get home, you're faced with a pile of homework and no time to do it. Often times, you'll push homework to the next day before class, leaving yourself without any free time at all.

2. Major FOMO.

Sitting in your night class you might get bored and find yourself scrolling through your Instagram feed and clicking through Snapchat stories. You might see your friends all hanging out without you while you're stuck in class. Night classes are the worst because they give you fear of missing out, or FOMO.

3. You get tired.

When 9 PM rolls around and you still have an hour left of class, you may find your eyelids getting heavier. Night classes can make it difficult to stay awake, as they are at the point in your day where you are usually relaxing in bed with Netflix and some ice cream. 

4. Walking home at night isn't the best.

When you finally get out of class, it's long past dark. Whether you're walking to your car in the parking lot or across campus to your dorm, it can be scary and sometimes unsafe to walk alone at night. Be careful if this includes you.

5. It's hard to maintain a job or extracurricular activities.

As college students, the easiest jobs to obtain usually require night shifts. If you're working at your local Jimmy John's or at the Forever 21 at the mall, you're likely to have night shifts. If you have night classes, you are unable to work these shifts, often inhibiting you from having a job. Likewise, most on-campus clubs meet at night to avoid conflicts with classes. While this may work for a majority of students, it does quite the opposite for those with night classes.

6. They mess up your sleep schedule.

Night classes can mess with your sleep schedule. If you get out of class and stay up doing homework for hours, you may not see the light of day until the next afternoon. Having an obligation during your evenings can mess with your normal routine.

While there are many benefits to having night classes, they can be very frustrating. These six reasons explain why night classes are the worst.

Natalie Day - Columbia College Chicago

Natalie Day is a freshman at Columbia College Chicago and is double majoring in acting and writing. She has traveled to Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and Jamaica for mission trips. Natalie spends her free time binge watching Netflix and working on her life long goal of becoming an old dog lady. Follow Natalie on Twitter and Instagram @nat__day.