by Natalie Day

6 Benefits of Having a Pet in College

By Natalie Day - Nov 19 2016

If you're considering getting a pet while you're in school, there are many things to consider. Are you living on campus where there are pet species and size restrictions? Do you have a busy schedule that limits your time commitment to the animal? Do you have roommates? With all these considerations and more, it's important to carefully weigh your options when making a decision about getting a pet. If you're still on the fence, here are six reasons why having a pet in college is great.

1. You will learn responsibility.

Whether it's a beta fish in a bowl on your dorm room book shelf or a ten-week-old puppy that pees all over your apartment, you will definitely learn responsibility. Even if it's just as simple as cleaning the tank and feeding your fish, you are making a commitment to the animal. This is something you can't learn out of a textbook, but by acting having responsibilities and committing to an animal.

2. You won't be lonely.

The best thing about having a pet is always having a companion. Nothing is better than coming home to an excited pet that spent it's day missing you. Pets are perfect for those lonely nights when you wish you were in a relationship. Dogs and cats, especially, are the best cuddle buddies you can have.

3. You will exercise more.

This one is specific to dogs. Dogs need exercise, too, and as a dog owner, you'll need to walk your dog daily. While this seems obvious, it also benefits you. Adding another mile or two to your day will help keep you and your dog in shape.

4. You have an excuse to stay in.

We've all had those nights where you really don't feel like going anywhere, but your friends won't stop bugging you about it. Having a pet gives you a foolproof excuse to stay in and watch Netflix. Nobody can complain if you say you need to be home with your pet since it was home alone all day while you were in class.

5. The best wingman you'll ever had.

Nothing draws potential dates in more than a cute animal. From kittens to dogs, your pet can be an automatic conversation starter and draw attention to you and your pet. Talk about a great wingman. 

6. Unconditional love.

The very best thing about having a pet is you will always be loved. Nothing is more special than the bond between an owner and their pet. We all want unconditional love in some form or another, so who cares if it's in animal form?

Overall, getting a pet in college is a huge decision. You have to be careful and consider how much time, money and effort you can actually commit to the animal. However, it's important not to forget these six reasons why having a pet in college is the best.

Natalie Day - Columbia College Chicago

Natalie Day is a freshman at Columbia College Chicago and is double majoring in acting and writing. She has traveled to Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and Jamaica for mission trips. Natalie spends her free time binge watching Netflix and working on her life long goal of becoming an old dog lady. Follow Natalie on Twitter and Instagram @nat__day.