by Natalie Day

5 Ways to Give Back Without Going Broke

By Natalie Day - Oct 17 2016

For many college students, community service is a requirement for graduation. Whether or not this applies to you, volunteering is an important thing to do to give back to the community around you. Unfortunately, most of us are not in the financial place to write a donation check to the charity of our choice. There are other options to volunteer in your community without any financial commitment. Here are five ways to give back without breaking the bank.

1. Time

Image Credit: Pexels

Giving your time is the simplest way to give back without spending money. It's likely there are local organizations around your campus that could use some volunteers. Keep an eye out for food banks or soup kitchens that could use a helping hand or two. There are also national organizations that probably have a location around you. Look out for Habitat for Humanity, The Humane Society or the YMCA close to your school.

2. Clothing

Image Credit: Pexels

When you packed up your clothes for college, you probably left a bunch of them at home. Odds are, you're never going to wear most of those clothes again. It's very easy to stop by your local shelter and drop off a couple bags of clothes. Doing this is a great way to give to someone in need without having to spend any money whatsoever.

3. GreaterGood

Image Credit: LinkedIn

GreaterGood is a very simple way to support an organization without any financial commitment. When you visit the website, there's a list of areas of need. When you click on each one, a button pops up at the top of the page. Clicking on each button helps those in need. For example, clicking on The Breast Cancer Site button helps provides mammograms for patients. Clicking on these buttons daily will help in various areas of need all over the country. 

4. GoodSearch

Image Credit: Paws as Loving Support

A simple way to give back without having to change anything about your daily routine is to use GoodSearch. Simply create an account and choose a cause that you're passionate about. Using the website as a search tool, you can go about your normal online shopping routine and a portion of your purchase will go toward the cause of your choice.

5. VocaliD

Image Credit: VocaliD

If you have a few hours free on your Sunday afternoon, you can spend it giving back with this very unique organization. VocaliD asks volunteers to spend three to four hours recording their voices for those who can't speak. If you choose to do this, your voice waits in a voice bank until it is matched with someone in need. Then a unique, new voice is created, creating a new form of communication for those who don't have a voice. This is a simple way for college students to give back without having to leave your bed.

It seems daunting to get in enough community service hours for your graduation requirements. On top of this, it can be hard to give back to the community effectively as broke college students. Thankfully, we have these five ways to easily give back without any financial obligation.

Natalie Day - Columbia College Chicago

Natalie Day is a freshman at Columbia College Chicago and is double majoring in acting and writing. She has traveled to Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and Jamaica for mission trips. Natalie spends her free time binge watching Netflix and working on her life long goal of becoming an old dog lady. Follow Natalie on Twitter and Instagram @nat__day.