by Natalie Day

5 Things to Be Careful of When Deciding to Double Major

By Natalie Day - Nov 08 2016

It can be very tempting to try and get a double major when you enter your freshman year. We all have a lot of interests and it seems logical to make the most of your college career by getting to degrees. However, there are a few things to be aware of if you find yourself wanting to double major. Here are five things to watch out for if this is you.

1. It can extend your time at school.

Each major has a certain amount of required credits. While one major is easily attainable within four years, it can be tough to in squeeze two. This requires a lot of planning with your advisor and may even extend your four years to five. While this isn't a guarantee, it is something to be aware of as you declare your second major.

2. You will have a heavy workload.

Not only will your double major keep you from being involved, you will also be drowning in schoolwork. From assignments to projects to essays, you may not have time to sleep and eat between all your homework.

3. It impacts your involvement.

\Pexels

While your friends might be on sports teams and in clubs, you could always have your nose in a book. Having two majors requires a lot of extra work and classes. Specifically, the core classes of your major might be the most labor intensive and you'll now have twice as many to take. Know that if you decide to double major, it could affect your involvement in other activities on and off campus.

4. It can cost extra money.

Depending on your school, a double major may not be included in your tuition. Some schools charge by number of credits and others by requirements for your four-year plan. It's important to know the financial commitment of a double major.

5. Your majors may not overlap.

If you do double major, the difficulty of your path depends on what the majors are. If you choose to double major in theatre and chemistry, you won't have any classes that overlap, requiring you to take even more. If you double major in two things within similar fields, you could lessen your workload.

Double majoring is not a bad idea, don't get me wrong. These are just a few things colleges don't necessarily tell you about when you're making this decision. You can read more about this issue from Ryan Coonerty, a UC Santa Cruz professor, here. In his article, he included this diagram that can help you decide if a double major is right for you.

Huffington Post

What are your thoughts on double majoring? Let us know @FreshUOnline.

Natalie Day - Columbia College Chicago

Natalie Day is a freshman at Columbia College Chicago and is double majoring in acting and writing. She has traveled to Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and Jamaica for mission trips. Natalie spends her free time binge watching Netflix and working on her life long goal of becoming an old dog lady. Follow Natalie on Twitter and Instagram @nat__day.