by Natalie Day

5 Steps To Cleaning Your Dorm for Winter Break

By Natalie Day - Dec 07 2016

With winter break just around the corner, it's time to start thinking about finally cleaning your dorm. Not just throwing dirty clothes in the hamper and shoving things under the bed, but really cleaning. Here's how to leave your dorm room in the best condition while you go home for a few weeks. 

1. Pack

It's important that you take home everything you need. This doesn't mean pack your entire dorm, but everything you'll actually need. You can leave your toothbrush and some of your clothes at your dorm because you'll have these things at home. However, this is more than just a weekend at home, so make sure you bring enough stuff for a couple weeks at home. 

2. Tidy up and Make Your Bed

If you take a few minutes to really clean your dorm, it can make a world of a difference. First of all, clean out your backpack and get rid of all the papers you no longer need from first semester. Then, organize your book shelves and storage areas around your room, getting rid of the clutter you've accumulated throughout the semester. Lastly, make your bed. You'll definitely notice the difference when you come back.

3. Vacuum and Wipe Down Furniture

This may be the first time you've actually done this all semester, but it's important to clean your dorm floor to ceiling. This means dragging out or borrowing a vacuum and getting into the corners of your dorm. Grab some clorox wipes and really clean everywhere in your room, leaving it sanitary and ready for your return for second semester.

4. Take Out the Trash

Before you leave to head home for break, do not forget to take out the trash. Nothing is worse than leaving trash in your room for a few weeks and returning to a disgusting smell in your dorm.

5. Unplug Everything

It's very important that you unplug everything before walking out the door. Without you there to monitor your plugged in lamps and extensions cords every day, this is a huge fire hazard. While a precaution, it's better safe than sorry.

Once you've done all these things, enjoy your break. You only get a few weeks off, so take the time to relax while you can.

Natalie Day - Columbia College Chicago

Natalie Day is a freshman at Columbia College Chicago and is double majoring in acting and writing. She has traveled to Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and Jamaica for mission trips. Natalie spends her free time binge watching Netflix and working on her life long goal of becoming an old dog lady. Follow Natalie on Twitter and Instagram @nat__day.