Display photo 1466780446965 2072a3de8a43
by Natalie Day

5 Reasons We're Glad the Election is Over

By Natalie Day - Nov 12 2016

No matter how you're feeling about the results of the election, there is a sense of relief in knowing it's over. As a country, it's our job to move on to the next phase of politics: a new president. Even if the future looks bleak, there are a few things to look forward to. Here are five reasons we're glad the election is over.

1. No more questioning the outcome.

Even if you aren't happy with our President-elect, it's nice to not be wondering anymore. Now that we have a definitive answer as to who's our next president, we don't have to live in a world of what-if's. 

2. No more campaign ads.

Nothing is more annoying then turning on your TV and being bullied with campaign ads telling you who or who not to vote for. Finally, the ads on the side of your computer screen will switch back to your favorite online shopping sites. It's the little things, right?

3. People will stop asking for money.

It's gotten pretty old opening your email to politicians and their staff spamming your inbox with pleads for donations. As broke college students, we're too poor to be able to help out even if we wanted to, so thankfully this constant guilt trip can come to an end.

4. We can put the Clinton/Trump drama to rest.

The petty fights and name-calling between the two Presidential candidates had begun to run their course. Thankfully, we no longer have to endure awkward silences and forced compliments as we saw in the debates this election season. It's time to move on to more important issues.

5. We have something new to complain about.

Months and months of complaining about the same two candidates and their policies is officially over. Now, we can move on to complaining about Trump and what he'll do in his time as President. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise, or maybe it's just a way to cope.

Overall, we don't have a choice but to move on from the election results. It's important to keep our heads up and remember that we made it through the election process, now we just have to survive the next four years.

Lead Image Credit: Elliott Stallion via Unsplash

Natalie Day - Columbia College Chicago

Natalie Day is a freshman at Columbia College Chicago and is double majoring in acting and writing. She has traveled to Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and Jamaica for mission trips. Natalie spends her free time binge watching Netflix and working on her life long goal of becoming an old dog lady. Follow Natalie on Twitter and Instagram @nat__day.