Display gift present wrapped ribbon 85875
by Natalie Day

5 Holiday Gifts that Last the Whole Year

By Natalie Day - Dec 19 2016

As college students, there are plenty of things we could ask for as holiday presents, but living in a small dorm room limits gift options. What better gift to ask for than something that gives back? Here are five ideas of things to ask for this year that you can use for months.

1. Magazine Subscription

If you have a certain interest, like makeup or sports, a magazine subscription is perfect for you. These are pretty inexpensive and comes monthly, so it's a continuous present throughout the year. Plus, you can cater the gift toward your personal interests.

2. Box Subscription

There are plenty of box subscriptions that are perfect for college students. Check out Ipsy or Birchbox if you like makeup and beauty, however Birchbox also caters toward men in some of their subscriptions. There are plenty of other subscriptions to ask for, just check out this list.

3. Season Pass

Whether you are interested in the theatre or sports, there's bound to be somewhere around your campus that offers a season pass. You can get one to any local sports arena or the local theatre and enjoy entertainment for months.

4. Netflix or Hulu

If you don't have this already, this might need to go at the top of your list. A Netflix or Hulu subscription is the perfect thing to ask your parents for because it will definitely go to good use. Not only will it fill up your free time, there are often documentaries that you may have to watch for class.

5. Gym Membership

If you need a little motivation to start exercising, a gym membership is the perfect gift. This is great if your campus doesn't have a gym, but on top of this, many gyms offer classes like yoga or spin class if that is more your style.

Instead of asking for more stuff this year, opt for a gift that will last you a little longer this year. 

Natalie Day - Columbia College Chicago

Natalie Day is a freshman at Columbia College Chicago and is double majoring in acting and writing. She has traveled to Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and Jamaica for mission trips. Natalie spends her free time binge watching Netflix and working on her life long goal of becoming an old dog lady. Follow Natalie on Twitter and Instagram @nat__day.